What are your thoughts on Great Danes?

We will be moving in about 4-6 months to a more permanent location, and I want to get a dog for my ds and myself. I really love Great Danes, and I was wondering if anyone else has one and a toddler. Any problems with Great Danes? Anything pertaining to Great Danes would be helpful.

mommy_jules

Asked by mommy_jules at 10:55 AM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Pets

• We had a Dane and small kids. As long as the dog is trained properly then you should have to worry. I've had 2 Mastiff's as well and I think they are better than Danes. Mastiff's are much more laid back and easy going. Our Dane was great around the kids but I started training her the minute we brought her home. It makes a big difference if you get them (the dog) very young and are able to teach them while around the kids. Big dogs can be scary to small kids but since my kids were always around them....they were never bothered by the size.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 11:09 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Way too big, I have always heard that the dog should never be bigger than the kid.

Answer by older at 10:58 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• wise move...

Answer by older at 11:02 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• yea, even though they are gentle giants they might still be too much for a toddler he might accidentally knock him down or just be playing outside and the thought of that huge dog running to you is scary...
    jenny2150

Answer by jenny2150 at 11:03 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I would not get one with a toddler. Honestly, I'm not a fan of really big dogs anyway - they cost a fortune to feed and I really don't want a dog that stands taller than me on his back legs. I don't want there to ever be a question of who is the master and who is the dog.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:05 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• i would hate to have to clean their poop
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:15 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Beautiful dogs..I've only "met" one, and he was super good with small kids. I wouldn't own one, though..just not my type of dog to own.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 11:34 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• That's what I was thinking. I know they are supposed to be "gentle" giants, but the sheer size is what has me worried a little. I think we will have to wait until he is older to get one.
    mommy_jules

Comment by mommy_jules (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• LOL, shay, cleaning up there poop hadn't even crossed my mind yet. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
    mommy_jules

Comment by mommy_jules (original poster) at 12:14 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Gorgeous dogs. Very sweet and great for families. We've always had bigger dogs and yes, they do tend to knock over the little ones. It happens, but neither of my kids were EVER hurt by just falling on their bottoms. They thought it was funny. :) Not, of course, that we encouraged that behaviour and we did train them to be gentle with small people.

Big dogs are generally much more gentle and sweet than the tiny ones, in my experience. But honestly, if you're intimidated by very large dogs, I think you might want to stick with medium-sized or smaller breeds.
    SelaCarsen

Answer by SelaCarsen at 12:20 PM on Feb. 13, 2011