Rosary

What are the mysteries? And is there a shorter version of the rosary for small children? What age are children suppose to start with them?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 11:20 AM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know as my daughter is grown and my grandsons are babies, but I've seen toddler rosaries on sites that sell Catholic stuff. I can't remember the name of the popular catalog I used to get. The rosaries usually come with an instruction sheet and you can also buy age-appropriate religion books for children. This is the perfect time to buy - usually the stores come to churches this time of year to sell stuff like this for Easter and First Communion/Confirmation gifts. Check the bulletin of your local church to see when they will be coming to your area. If it doesn't say in the bulletin yet, call and ask the church office or school office. I would think there are shorter ones for small children as the toddler rosaries have just a few large beads on them, not a lot like a regular adult rosary.
    bojolinda

Answer by bojolinda at 11:26 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• My sons are 6 and in 1st grade. They are learning their prayers in PREP. I think they are getting close to being able to pray a shorter rosary.

I believe there are 15 mysteries. I remember the nuns having longer rosaries which had all the mysteries when I was a kid. When DD received 1st communion, I got her a short rosary with 10 (11?) beads.

Google has instructions and lists the mysteries.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 11:31 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• There are 5 Joyful, 5 Sorrowful, 5, Glorious, 5, Luminous

http://www.catholic.org/prayers/mystery.php

Rosaries can come in 15, 10 or 5 decades.  Most are 10 decades, children can start learning on a smaller 5 decade rosary or they can say one or twodecades on a 10 decade rosary.    Some children's rosaries will have larger beads.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:34 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• They have a Rosary that looks like a bracelet... and when I was little I remember doing/reciting it... still in me today!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:51 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Isn't that like worshipping another God? You (?) have no other God's before me. Isn't that doll too? Sorry I am just trying to figure out why people have such different beliefs. I am not trying to be rude or mean. I really wonder about it.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 4:17 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

~~~~

The mysteries have to do with things that happened to Jesus. It's about reflecting on the life of Jesus while you are saying prayers to God.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:41 PM on Feb. 13, 2011