My 4 year old daughter has a grey tooth.. any insight?

It hasn't always been grey, but just seems to have turned that color over the past month, maybe more? I really don't know what would cause this, she brushes regularly, doesnt drink anything besides water, apple juice, and milk. Any ideas? I know eventually she will lose it and grow a new tooth but her poor smile just isn't what it used to be. Has anyone had this problem? Her next dental check up is towards the end of April and I wasn't really sure if this is worth her being seen sooner over.

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 11:21 AM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She probably suffered a trauma to the nerves. Thank goodness this is a baby tooth. But take her into the dentist so they can find out exactly why this is happening. My son got hit in the mouth with a golf ball and this happened to a second tooth. He had to have a root canal and they bleached the tooth. It took care of it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:23 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• maybe she has poor enamel
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:29 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I would suggest asking the dentist too, or at least call the receptionist. If they think there is a problem, they can bump up your appointment to a sooner time.

The dentist once told me that I think a black tooth was okay but a brown was not? I guess because the black one was already decayed but the brown one was still decaying, or something like that . I have not run across a gray one yet. In any case, call their office. If they think it needs immediate attention, they will take care of it.
    bojolinda

Answer by bojolinda at 11:29 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• This happened to my son and the dentist said he had bleeding into his crown (probably caused by a fall at the playground). That was about 6 months ago and his tooth is white again now.
    spamica

Answer by spamica at 11:33 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• i agree .. has their been a bump or a fall? but id def call the dentist just to put your mind at ease
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:00 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Yep - It was likely a fall or something that damaged the nerves -- My daughterdid that and now we are actually waiting on the tooth to fall out -- she is almost 4 -- so we will be toothless a little while. Dentist said it was just hannging on "by a thread."
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Sounds like nerve damage. You need to take her to the dentist to make sure it doesn't affect the gums and the adult tooth. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 1:00 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• When I was little I had a tooth that was black and white marble colored. The dentist said that the tooth was dead. It too forever to fall out. I think I was 10 by the time it fell out. Hated to smile the whole time it was there. And I always got teased for it. take him to the dentist and see what can be done.
    Jwick

Answer by Jwick at 1:11 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Probably the apple juice. Try doing 2/3 or 3/4 water and the rest juice. I specifically remember a few friends when growing up having grey teeth and they were apple juice drinkers.
    LuvMyBabies912

Answer by LuvMyBabies912 at 3:30 PM on Feb. 15, 2011