How to get rid of the night time bottles? (twins)

How do you get rid of the night time bottles? My daughter's twins, 14 m/o (12 1/2 months adjusted), have lots of teeth (12 each) and I hate to see them ruined. One nurses at night but takes a bottle if he is inconsolable, the other is a bottle baby. Putting water in it just gets it thrown in their sleep and they use pacifiers, but not instead of the bottle. If you let them cry it out, they become awake and wake the other up, then you have two screaming babies that won't go back to sleep. They take 2 or 3 four or six ounce bottles at night each. I breastfed DD for a couple years, so I don't know how to deal with this problem and the twins are my daughter's firsts.

bojolinda

Asked by bojolinda at 11:38 AM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I took the bottles away from my twins when they were 12 months old. By that time I had cut them down to one bottle a day at nighttime. They were already used to falling asleep on their own. The first night was the biggest adjustment. I gave them lots of affection that day and especially right before bedtime. I put them to bed the same but without bottles. They fussed but I just rubbed their backs. the next few nights were some fussing but I did not give in at all. By the end of the week bottles were a distant memory. So lots of affection and do not give in even once! GL.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 6:10 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I just gave my dd water...and let my dd cry. I don't know what else to tell you. It took about a week of sleepless nights...
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:43 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• i know this may sound crazy, but i put fake bugs in the bottles and said that "we can't use the bots anymore because buggies were in them and they are dirty!! pluse big boys/girls don't drink from bottles anyway." we had some fussing at bed time, but they eventually just went to bed without them.
    hkarpo

Answer by hkarpo at 11:55 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• im not there yet but ill give u a bump x
    san78

Answer by san78 at 11:55 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Btw...my twins sleep in the same room. I left it that way during the transition. I found that they have gotten used to each other at night. There are even times now that one wakes up crying (from a nightmare or illness) and the other doesn't even wake up at all. I think its good for them as the will be sharing a room for some time to come.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 6:14 PM on Feb. 13, 2011