Did anyone of you give birth at home?

I am thinking about it. What is it like? Did you have midwife?

KatDy

Asked by KatDy at 11:39 AM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• My grandmother claims she had most of her 7 children on the way out to the outhouse out back of their home. Easy birthing. She did walk to work each day and worked through all the pregnancies so was in good shape.
    frugalcoupons

Answer by frugalcoupons at 11:46 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• NO WAY lol, I am so glad I got to the hospital :)
    darmika

Answer by darmika at 12:18 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Absolutely not.

If I had not been at the hospital I would have died, the baby may have died too. I had an easy pregnancy and a delivery with unforeseen complications. Both my child and I would have seriously died if I had delivered at my home. I share these facts because I hope it will help you with your decision.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:39 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• If your seriously considering it go to the Birth Is Normal group. They have lots of advise and are good at answering questions. A lot of doctor will freely tell their patients that "they could have died" but, a lot of "complications" are doctor made (epidural, induction, wanting to hurry things along.) Watch The Business of Being Born, it was very enlightening for me and my husband, you can watch it on youtube.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:44 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• No, but I have been to them.
    It's great that you are considering this!
    :-)
    They can be so much more pleasant and safe~
    How far along are you?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:51 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Wait a minute matthewscandi...I did come close losing my own life... and the baby was definitely at risk as well.

My delivery was most certainly not hurried and this was not a doctor error...just for the record.

I was a low risk pregnancy, but a home birth would have done me in.

If you choose home and get into a medical emergency what are you going to do? Do you really want to have to rely on an ambulance ride... in the worst case scenario?

Also, perhaps you should visit a pediatric therapy center and discuss this topic with some of the therapists. They spend their days treating children who have had birth injuries and many are disabled resulting from difficult deliveries. Delivering a baby without complications, low risk or not, is not always in your control.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:43 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Fortunately with the midwifery model of care (not the medical model), illnesses are more commonly prevented, women are less likely to suffer complications, and have overall safer outcomes.

Midwives are Normal Birth Experts trained to avoid / handle most complications (that surgeons/high-risk doctors may not be).
    *Who* you hire to attend your normal maternity (and the environment that comes with) care can be a woman's biggest Risk Factor.

It's worth interviewing and researching if you are looking for a safe and pleasant experience!
    :-D

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:00 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• "   children who have had birth injuries and many are disabled resulting from difficult deliveries. Delivering a baby without complications, low risk or not, is not always in your control."

Keep in mind that fortunately, most things are preventable.

*Birth Injuries*

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:05 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Ha ha...most injuries are preventable....ironic because that is exactly what my dr. said to us a few weeks prior to delivery. And prior to our injury that she assured really should not happen.

We had a full discussion on brachial plexus injuries, and many other types of complications that may occur. That might not be the norm, but we did discuss all of this. There isn't anything in that birth injury video that was news to me. We WERE prepared and informed. We had a very skilled ob/gyn at one of the most reputable hospitals in Chicago. Yet I can guarantee you, the injuries still happen. If you think it is better at home with a midwife and the injuries are all preventable based on handling and positions, you are really kidding yourself and going to find out the hard way.

We trusted your very same words before...never again.

I completely and wholeheartedly disagree that birthing at home is safer and less risky.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2011