What are the booster seat laws where you live with bigger kids? height/weight/age restrictions?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am not sure about the weight but, they should be in a carseat until 4'9" or 8 years old. I live in Texas.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:28 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• 6 years and 60lbs ... so I drive a minivan because I have to fit 2 carseats and a 15 year old that is almost 6feet tall... hahahaha

I have no issues as long as he still fits in it, has the metal clips, plus seat bealt, and 5point harness deal... and my kindergartener hasn't made it too big of an issue yet
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• In NJ, it's 80 lbs. or age 8. But as a parent, my son who was tiny at age 8, (he's growth hormone deficient) I kept him in the car seat a bit longer. He also felt more secure. Towards the end of 3rd grade we just used a booster seat.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 12:34 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I'm not sure because I don't follow it....I put my kids in a car seat until they are 40 pounds.....when their legs are too long to be comfortable, I put them in a seat belt making sure it fits properly across their body....the new law of one size fits all is ridiculous and not safer. If I waited until my oldest was 80 pounds she would have been in a car seat until she was 12 because she was that petite.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:40 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I think the question is about BOOSTER seats, not carseats, right? Anyhow, where I am kids have to be in a booster untill 80 pounds OR 9 years old, whatever comes first. I'd say, better safer than dead or close to it....They have to be in a 5 point harness carseat till 40 pounds here. DS who is 42 pounds, and not that overly big for his age(5) still fits into his 5 point harness seat. He complains about it sometimes, but nobody sees him in it so oh well for him! I will probably get him a booster this summer though.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 2:49 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• In IL it was 8 or 80lbs before they could get out of the booster. No idea what it is here in WA. My 10yo (11 in June) still rides in her booster since she's barely 50lbs and only 4'3". My almost 5yo is still in a 5pt harness since she's only like 34lbs.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:37 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Can come out of a booster at age 4yrs old.
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 5:35 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I'm also in Texas. We have no weight law, but it's 4'9'' or 8-year-old. Of course, safety wise, they should stay in a booster in most vehicles until they're 4'9''.
    DDDaysh

Answer by DDDaysh at 12:21 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I have three kids--3, 6 and 10. My 3 and 6 year olds sit in regular 5 pt harness Britax or Sunshine Kids seats. My 10 year old won't sit in a booster, even though she is 60lbs and short! I cringe when my 6 year old has to use a high-back booster.

I transport children to and from school for a fee, and I make all those kids use boosters or 5pt harness seats. Their safety is too important to me to not have them as safe as possible.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 9:41 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• In Kentucky it says over 7 years old AND over 50 inches tall. Just looked it up.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 11:02 PM on Feb. 14, 2011