If your schools were closed because of weather, how are they making up the days?

I just got off the phone with my MIL and the schools in her area are adding an extra 36 minutes to the end of each day to make up for their snow days. I'm wondering how that's going to work for middle and high schoolers. Are they getting 36 minutes extra of only one class for the rest of the year? And since they are tacking this on to the end of the day and most athletics classes are last period, does this mean that the kids are really just there for an extra half hour of play time? How is this right? What are your schools doing?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 12:23 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in

• They tack those days onto the end of the year!!
    darmika

Answer by darmika at 12:23 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• ugh hopefully they dont take it out of spring break!
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• In our school district they build in 4 snow days. After they're used up they start taking away days from vacation. They were supposed to be off on Feb 23 for President's weekend, but now they have school. The next days they would be pulling from would be spring break in April.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 12:29 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Our schools only have one day to make up, so they are starting 5 minutes early each morning.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:33 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• they cancelled 2 teacher in service days and extended school by 2 days.
    Chandrani

Answer by Chandrani at 12:37 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• We don't get too much snow, but if it snows here enough to close our school they just add a Friday school day. My son goes to a charter school and they only go to school Mon-Thurs. If we had a week of snow days, they would just add a month of Friday school days.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:47 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Our school adds in snow-days when they make the calendar for the year - President's Day is a day off unless we have a snow day - so the kids will go on President's day this year. Same with Easter break, they normally have Thursday off but will go Thursday this year. We also have a couple of Saturday activities that are fairly optional, but if we have too many snow days they make those Saturdays required (one of them is only a 2-hour event but it's enough to count as a school day). We have never and will never have days tacked on to the end of the year. This is also only grade school (K-8), I don't know how the high school they'll go to does things.
    Anonymous

• Our school built in 10 days but we have only used 4 so far. So we are good. The district next to ours is out of days and they will tack it on to the end of the year. A friend of mine that is out of state said they were making up the missed days on Saturday. So they missed Tuesday but had to go on Saturday.
    momof2cuteboys

Answer by momof2cuteboys at 1:29 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I can honestly not remember a day when the schools here have been closed due to weather. There have been days where the out of town busses have not been running and days when attendance has been at parental discretion, but the schools are always open. And the out of town busses only don't run if the temps are - 35C base temp or - 47C with the windchill or if the roads are impassible due to ice/snow or low visibility. I can't imagine them closing the schools because of weather, and I have no idea how they'd make up the days.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:56 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Candianmom - I think it's pretty cool that your schools allow attendance at "parential discretion" when the weather is bad, in our area that's unheard on. (c:

Right now we've been out for 9 days because of this last storm and we were out for 3 days for the storm before that. Our schools only put 3 snow days in the calendar this year.
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 2:37 PM on Feb. 13, 2011