I love Buddha quotes! what are some of your favourite ones?

An idea that is developed and put into action is more important than an idea that exists only as an idea.

san78

Asked by san78 at 12:38 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Master your words.
    Master your thoughts.
    Never allow your body to do harm.
    Follow these three roads with purity
    And you will find yourself upon the one way,
    The way of wisdom.
    Buddha
    Dhammapada
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:47 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.
    Buddha
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 12:40 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• The mind is everything. What you think you become. My favorite.....

Answer by older at 12:42 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• “Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.”

and

“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.”
    Bears.Mommy

Answer by Bears.Mommy at 1:15 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart.
    Buddha

You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.
    Buddha

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:06 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• “Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.”

“Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.”

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

I love these and the one in the first answer above. :-)
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:55 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I've never studied Buddah,but from reading some of these quotes, they are very common sense. Thanks to all of you for sharing for those of us who hadn't heard them before.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 12:59 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I love many that are already listed, but here are some others I like, too:

"Words have the power to both destroy and heal. When words are both true and kind, they can change our world"

* On life's journey faith is nourishment, virtuous deeds are a shelter, wisdom is the light by day and right mindfulness is the protection by night. If a man lives a pure life, nothing can destroy him.

* Teach this triple truth to all: A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity.

bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:02 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• “In theory there is but one religion, in practice, there are as many religions as there are people.”

"The tongue like a sharp knife... Kills without drawing blood."
    flower_angel

Answer by flower_angel at 3:56 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• 'The one who holds back rising anger like a rolling chariot- that one I call a real driver. Other people are but holding the reins.'

'By one's self the evil is done; by one's self one suffers. By one's self evil is left undone; by one's self one is purified.'

'Look upon this world as you would on a bubble. Look upon it as a mirage.'

'Your own self is your master. Who else could it be? With self well subdued, you gain a master hard to find.'

'Those who are vigilant do not die. Those who are thoughtless are as if dead already.'

'She abused me, he beat me, she defeated me, he robbed me: in those who harbour such thoughts, hatred will never cease. She abused me, he beat me, she defeated me, he robbed me: in those who do not harbout such thoughts, hatred will cease. For never does hatred cease by hatred at any time. Hatred ceases by love. This is an eternal law.'
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:50 PM on Feb. 13, 2011