Is it true that saliva, and by implication, oral sex is a big no-no if you're trying to conceive?

visa31927

Asked by visa31927 at 1:25 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• Never heard of that, doesn't make sense to me though.

Answer by older at 1:27 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I'm not sure, I've never heard it before either, but you saliva has enzymes in it that helps break food particles down, maybe it does the same to sperm. That might be why it's a no-no, but to be honest that is a complete guess on my part.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:32 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• The acidity of saliva can kill sperm. If you want to conceive, stop giving him BJs and use KY jelly to lube up.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:41 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• ya, I read that on The Stir That lube and saliva can ruin sperm motility
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:44 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• http://thestir.cafemom.com/pregnancy/115949/momstobe_dont_deserve_fun_sex

" most popular lubricants are "toxic" to sperm, killing the little swimmers' motility."

" Even using a little old-fashioned spit (which, frankly, does nothing anyway), can hurt your baby-making chances. From WebMd: "Personal lubricants, lotions and even saliva can interfere with sperm motility."

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:46 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Wouldn't it have to be a large amount of saliva for this to occur? So many children are conceived without any actual trying on the mother's end.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 2:56 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I think I'd like to see the scientific studies on this. I don't think a ton of spit ends up outside my mouth during oral, plus we usually have spent enough time actually bd'ing before he expels that I don't think the spit would have any contact....hmmm...good question but I think it may be websites wanting to sound smart. Lube can be harmful but I doubt spit.
    tmpmom1116

Answer by tmpmom1116 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I've never heard of such a thing.
    My hubby and I do that kind of thing before almost every single time we... play.
    And we had NO problem conceiving, even with birth control, and even CONDOMS.
    Nikki B.

Answer by Nikki B. at 4:15 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• i have never heard taht before but I am also not sure, we do that all the time also before play and like the other poster by the time my man explodes there shouldn't be any traces of spit but i can see if you are chewing gum or eating acidict fruits during sex that would prove a problem.
    littlewonder86

Answer by littlewonder86 at 3:25 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Yes. Or at least, that's what the doctors believe. So save it for the days you AREN'T TTC.
    SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 1:28 PM on Feb. 17, 2011