have you heard of the westboro baptist church?

This "church organization" claims to be advocates for God, yet all they do is spread HATE. They proudly protest soldiers' funerals, they proudly protest gay people with signs that say "God hates fags" and "God hates fag enablers", they think certain US presidents are burning in hell for certain things they did while in office, they thank God for Hurricane Katrina and the tsunami and other natural disasters and say that everyone who died in 9/11 deserved it. They raise their children to believe exactly as they believe, and they claim that the hate they spread is all in the name of the Lord Almighty.

What do you think of groups like this that spew hatred and back it up with bible verses? How could someone misconstrue the word of God so horribly?

Here's their official website. You've been warned.

http://www.godhatesfags.com/

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 7:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've seen so much on these people are they are just terrible! I'm not sure where it went wrong. Wasn't it the uncle or something that started that group? Most of them are all family members in one way or another.

I saw them on a talk show and a news programs and the level of ignorance is just SAD. I really hope they are exposed to the truth (the way it was intended) before it's too late.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I think they are a disgusting, horrifying, shameful group of jerks (and I'd use a stronger word if this wasn't a family website) who have no idea what the message of Jesus really was and who represent a shameful and evil perversion of Christianity. They are hateful.
    bluecrayon

Answer by bluecrayon at 7:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• they are as far out in left field as you can throw the ball, and are not endorsed by any real affiliation of the baptist denomination, i'm sure. unfortunately, since they continue to have the word 'baptist' included in their church's name, many will think this is indicative of the denomination as a whole. nothing could be further from the truth. as with anyone preaching falsely in God's name, they will have their reward...unless they turn from their God-less ways.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I'm going to agree with Bill Maher on this on. I actually like them because "average christians" are completely horrified at these freaks in the way that most Atheists and Agnostics are horrified at "average christians". I'm sure Bill was trying to get another point across, but that is what I took from it.
    Anonymous

• I'm actually agnostic =] I just don't understand how one person could look at the bible and go "Oh, God is so loving, God loves everyone and wants everyone to be happy." and another person can look at the bible and go "OMG GOD HATES GAY PEOPLE AND SOLDIERS DIE DIE DIE AMERICA SUCKS LULZ". I mean...the words are the same right? It's just weird O.o
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:51 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• agree with hairnazi: they are way out there. what they are spreading is hate and that is not God's way. they are not follower's of Christ because they are not acting in a Christ like way.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 7:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• bill maher should be horrified of many things. he's one of the biggest haters alive today. he's an instigator, a troll, and totally disrespectful when he 'preaches' about respecting everyone. he's a total loser...and ugly, too.
    Anonymous

• caitxrawks: it does not say in the bible that "God hate's gays"... God love's all sinners and according to the bible homosexuality is a sin... He loved sinners so much is why He sent His Son Jesus to die for the sins of all. If a Christians says God hate's homosexuals.. then that Christian is wrong and not speaking truth from the bible. I am a Christian and I love my homosexual friends and relatives.. I do not agree with their lifestyle and they know that but they also know i love them. The people of that church are wrong in their actions and their words and what they are doing is not representative of Christianity, God, or the bible.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 7:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Oh no bonn, I know the bible doesn't say that =]

I just meant that it's strange how two people could have such drastically different interpretations of it. I was raised christian, and I know for a fact that it's not there for people to use it for bad reasons. I just want to shake those people and ask them what they're thinking. Hate just takes so much out of you, yanno?
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• caitxrawks: ok.... got it. hey I want to shake them too. LOL. Hey I think we just agreed on something. : )
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 8:18 PM on Nov. 17, 2008