Does it matter what last name i give the baby ?

So i am not with the baby 's father but i do have a boyfriend who is willing to help me take care of the child and basically parent with me but my ex wants it to have his lastname but i would like the baby to have my boyfriends lastname can my ex take me to court over that ?

Adding on to this ...

I left my ex he didnt leave me . I left him because he wasnt willing to compromise with me on anything !

emster18

Asked by emster18 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Baby Names

• I think giving the child a 'boyfriends' name is ridiculous. You made a baby with a man who isnt willing to stick around... how do you know that you made a good choice this time????

Give the baby YOUR last name.
    Anonymous

• Uhm giving your child your bfs name is wrong. You dont know if he is going to stick around no more then you knew your ex would leave. I think you are trying to get a jab into your ex by doing this. And yes he CAN and probably WILL take you to court to legitimize his child and get HIS last name on the birth cert.
    Anonymous

• If you are not married my best advice is to give the child your last name.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 2:07 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Personally, I think it matters a lot and wouldn't give my child the name of a boyfriend. I would give the baby my last name or the last name of the father. And yes, he can take you to court and potentially win the right to change the name of the child, particularly if he's supporting the child.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 2:08 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• i agree with anon my son's sperm donor didnt wanna stick around but wanted the baby to have his last name..ya not happening loser lol so my son got mine ....you need to just give the baby your last name cause honestly giving him your bf's last name is kinda stupid he is not the parent, he can help and be with you all and everything with out the baby having his last name. Down the road if you two get married you can change the baby's last name when u change urs if you really want
    Mama07Shorty

Answer by Mama07Shorty at 2:08 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• i'm just going to offer my opinion. not sure of legalities though..

but i don't think your child should have your bf's name. he may be nice, but he's still JUST a bf, not your husband. i'm not sure how long you've been with him since he isn't your baby's father, and if it's not a long time then you shouldn't make such a big commitment to give someone else's child his name. if you guys get married though, & he chooses to adopt & take on all parental rights, then he can give his last name.

i'd just give the baby your last name for now. the real dad can't get too mad at that.

also factor in whether or not you'll be asking bio dad for child support.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 2:09 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• My mom gave me her last name bc my dad wasnt around. He never fought it though. She gave me her last name because she knew she would always be around & her family helped raise me. Now if my dad had made an issue of it he could have had my last name changed at any time. But he wasnt around so it worked out best. I would give the baby your last name. You are the only person you know will be there for your baby. It is also easier when school comes around you both have the same last name.

Answer by gemgem at 2:10 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• If it were me, I'd give my child my last name or his biological father's last name. If it were me, I would not want the last name of someone who did not father me or was not married to my mother. If, in the future, your boyfriend marries you and wants to adopt your child then, that would be something to consider then.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:11 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Thank you for the adivce ! I think i am just going to stick with giving it my lastname until i get married !
    emster18

Comment by emster18 (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• as the others have said, give the baby your last name. now that youre having a child you need to make more responsible decisions. this includes being wise about giving your baby the last name of just some boyfriend. if years come to pass perhaps one day your child will want to be adopted by him and then he/she can have his last name. you dont know whether this guy is going to stick around or not.

i would like to add though that it doesnt matter what you put on the BC. if the father contests paternity and gets a DNA test done it will only confirm that, and set up child support probably. they wont change the baby's last name unless both biological parents agree to it. thats how it works in my state though, but i know some states require the father to sign an affidavit before they even put his name on the BC. it varies in each state so check your state laws.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:15 PM on Feb. 13, 2011