I'm just about 27 weeks pregnant, started Braxton hicks contractions 2 weeks ago they seem to get a little worse everyday including back pain. I am "high risk" for preterm labor because of a previous pregnancy- I know the BH are normal but when should i call my doctor?? Is it ok to wait til my next OB appt in 2 weeks??

benles17

Asked by benles17 at 2:10 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It would be better to tell them by tomorrow, esp if you are feeling them in your back. They will probably want to see you and stick you on a monitor, so be prepared.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 2:14 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• you can never go wrong by calling your doctor to ask. the worst that can happen is they have you come in & find out it's a false alarm. my motto with pregnancy is always "better safe than sorry"
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 2:19 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• When contractions start pay attention to consitantcy, lenght, and frequency. Are they consitantly spaced apart (coming about 15 minute intervals or one now, one is 15 min, one is 10 min, one in 20 min), lenght - preterm labor contractions last 1 to 1.5+ minutes in length, frequency - how often do you experience contractions (everyday, several times a day, etc.)

When you start to experience contractions, drink a big glass of water and lay down and rest. BH should slowly go away, preterm labor will not. If you start to experience more regualar contraction that occur more frequently then do not hesitate to go to ob and get monitored. Don't rist your baby you do not have to wait to see your dr to beable to go in and get monitored and reassured. You can also call into ob at any time and they can also help you determine if they are preterm or bh. Good luck!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 2:25 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• i would at least call the doc and ask if you should come in. I'd say go to the doc though cant go wrong with checking up since it's about the health and chance of your baby surviving..the longer they stay inside the better the chance of survival. better safe than sorry!
    Davina85

Answer by Davina85 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I went in at 27 weeks for what I thought were minor contractions and it turns out I was actually contracting quite regularly even when I couldnt feel it. I'd call yoru dr and be better safe than sorry. I had my steroid shot at 27 weeks just in case they couldnt stop labor and my son hung in there until 32 wks 0 days. let us know how it goes!
    tmpmom1116

Answer by tmpmom1116 at 2:50 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• If they come at regular intervals go in and get checked. If you are worried and none of this advice is helping, get checked. It is your body, it is pregnant. No OB is going to be upset with you for worrying about the risks and getting checked, although they might be upset that you had so much concern and decided on waiting to get checked! Better safe than sorry, a very good policy! Congrats and GL.

summerbear

Answer by summerbear at 10:17 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• If you have more than 4 in an hour, you should call the doctor. You can try taking a Benadryl and using a heating pad on your back for comfort. I also have early babies, but even in my least pregnancy, they let the BH go to about 6 in an hour before doing anything about it. (And then it was Trebutaline by mouth only when the contractions picked up to over 6 in an hour. I carried that baby to 36 weeks.)
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:27 AM on Feb. 14, 2011