vasectomy?

For women whos husbands have had one... first off, can it be covered by insurance, and if not, what is the costs roughly?
I do not want to go on BC, and I am not going to get my tubes tied. I hate condoms, but we surely dont want anymore kids. I know the vasectomy isnt 100%.. really nothing is besides abstinance.. but, its the only option we both agree on.
How is recovery, etc..?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Health

• It runs about $1000 depending where you live and what kind of anesthesia you get. Our insurance covered it. Recovery was easy for my husband. We went to the Milwaukee Zoo the next day and he was fine (it was his idea!). He was a little sore from walking around so much but othe rthan that...he was a trooper. I recommend it!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• i don't know the answer to the insurance q but i can tell you about the procedure and the at home care they recommend. renee i am surprised he went to the zoo the next day. i have only heard what is recommended and that they sit on ice for the next 2-3 days.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 8:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Insurance covered it, but it was only about $600 here -- this was with my first husband, recovery was super easy. He was back at work the next day.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 9:31 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• It didn't cost us anything because we have universal health care.  My dh had his on a Thursday afternoon and was back to work Monday morning.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Its considered a surgical procedure, this insurance covers it. The recovery isn't bad. My husband just put frozen pees on them, make sure he wears snug boxer-brief like underwear to support the scrotum. He will be fine. A lot of my friends have had it. They all said it was fine. Obviously they were a little suspicious of anything that was a scalpel that came that close to their goodies.
    Reggie2

Answer by Reggie2 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2008