Are there parts of your life that you hide from your parents?

are there some things about yourself or your own family that you dont let your parents know about because you know they would not approve? my parents and i are very different people and there are several parts of my life that i hide from them. it gets very stressful at times. my SO doesnt have to hide anything from his family. i wish i didnt either.

LoriaAnn

Asked by LoriaAnn at 2:23 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• Yes, there are some things I'd rather they not know..
    bookmommy

Answer by bookmommy at 2:24 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Nope I don't hide anything about me or my life. I'm a 40 year old woman, my parents approval or disapproval of how I live my life doesn't matter to me.

SweetSprinkles

Answer by SweetSprinkles at 2:25 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• not now that I am an adult... I do nothing that I am a shamed of.
    certainly when i was a teen and early 20 something I made poor choices that I would hide.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 2:25 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• There's a lot I don't tell my parents. They lecture me about everything, so I'd rather not tell them about things that aren't necessary for them to know. Like when I moved in with my now-best friend in July - we had just broken up when we moved in together, and we got back together very briefly right after. We only dated for like 3 weeks after moving in, but we kept living together. I didn't tell my parents we broke up, because I knew they wouldn't accept the very strange living situation I was in, even if it worked for me. That's just an example... there's a lot more I don't bother to tell.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 2:26 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• yep there are lots of things my parents dont know. I see things about my life as need to know only, so if they dont need to know it, they dont.

Answer by gemgem at 2:26 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• There is stuff I don't tell my dad but I tell my mom everything.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 2:31 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I don't hide anything. I'm pretty forthright and while I will always honor and respect my parents, and value their opinions, I don't hide it when I choose to do things they wouldn't. With that said, DH's family doesn't have the word "boundary" in their vocabulary. I don't think it's even in their dictionary. DH was raised this way and volunteers WAY too much information for me. I don't hide stuff but I also like privacy and don't just tell everything either.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 2:33 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• no, ive always had an open book relationship with my parents. though i obviously dont tell them intimate details or financial stuff (since thats only mine & dh's business) everything else i can share with them and i take their approval or disapproval as constructive critism. but more importantly, i am a responsible adult now and all that matters is whether i feel im making the right decisions.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:35 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• ~*Sex Life*~... but than again I ONLY talk to hubby about that anyways!!! Every other aspect of my life is open to friends and family because they love ME

"Be who you are and say what you mean... because that that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind!!!"
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 2:41 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• There are some things I did as a teen that I'd rather not tell my mother but only because I think she'll feel like she was a bad mom for not knowing what I was out doing when really I was the one lying about everything all the time. But other than that, no.
    Anonymous