Anyone have an Australian Shepherd?

Ours is SO lovable with the family..I call her my little "velcro dog" cause she wants to be with me all the time! She doesn't seem to like other kids other than my son though, is that normal for the breed?

bookmommy

Asked by bookmommy at 2:29 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Pets

• My first dog was a Border Collie/Aussie mix and she was like that we me. My parents bought her as a family dog and she bonded with me. She would only listen to me, followed me around...she was the best dog ever and I miss her a lot.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 2:37 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• We have a Aussie heeler mix and she is the same way.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 2:42 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• i had a blue heeler. she was just like that! she's hearding you! ;o)
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Yes. Australian Shepherds are a one family dog and as a herding dog, they become protective over what they perceive to be their flock. If he nips at other children's heels, however, this is probably just his herding instincts kicking in. They tend to do that with small kids. you just have to watch closely because kids don't understand this and can become frightened.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 5:33 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Aussies are typically a one person dog though they love their family. Unless they are socialized well they tend to be aloof with strangers. My aussie was a mama's boy but was also very good with my daughter. He was great with everyone but more aloof with men. He tolerated my soon to be ex husband ( wish I had listened to his instincts) but was never that close to him. Nick also liked to hang close to me but it had nothing to do with herding though he did do that with our cats he never did that with people.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:55 PM on Feb. 13, 2011