How do you handle it when you have unexplained anxiety?

bekej

Asked by bekej at 2:34 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Health

• I take a pill.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:34 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• ~*Hugs*~... wished I could help and hope things get better!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 2:36 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I take some ativan

Answer by gemgem at 2:36 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I have taken meds before but don't carry then with me and actually don't have a current perscription so that tack work for me any more - so I talk to myself (not out loud if I'm in public - lol) - I say over and over whatever will help the moment pass. "You can do this, just go slow and steady." Or whatever works. :)

Good luck - it's no fun, for sure!
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 2:39 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Just breath slowly and deeply,till my breathing is back to normal.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:45 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I remind myself that when I get like that, my fears are usually irrational and I repeat that to myself as many times as I need to. I don't flat out tell myself I'm stupid, but I do tell myself that I'm being ridiculous or that I'm overreacting and I try to think of logical things to prove to myself that whatever I'm worried about isn't real or true. I have to literally think myself through it.
    Anonymous

• If I can I look at the sky, or a tree - something natural and grounding. Then I tell myself what is really true - often when I am anxious it's not because of imminent danger or anything... so I say "I am standing in the grocery store. This is safe." Or whatever makes sense for where I am...

I also eat these little candies called Bach Rescue Remedy Pastilles. They're all natural and supposed to reduce stress. I think it might be a placebo effect, but it works for me :)

I also try, later if right then isn't good, to figure out what was really bothering me. For instance the other day I was looking at baby stuff and got really anxious. Hubby thought I was overwhelming myself, but later the song "little lambs eat ivy" was in my head and I realized I was anxious because the brand name made me think of the song and reminded me of my grandad who is very ill with Alzheimers... Knowing why helps me feel "less crazy"!
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 2:55 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Prozac!!!!!!
    Momto2beauties

Answer by Momto2beauties at 3:08 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Uh........ I cry.
    Okay, so it's a really shitty solution, but it's all I've got!
    That, and I try to distract myself from it. Work out... work on my knitting... even just talk to somebody about anything else... and try to make it stop.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I have dealt with depression and anxiety almost my whole adult life. I am on meds for it which help tremedously. I also feel it coming on and call someone to chat with, think of funny things that have happened in my life, think about something anything but what is making you anxious. I still get that way sometimes so I don't have a plan to get rid of it. Just to avoid it. good luck hun and take care
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 4:43 PM on Feb. 13, 2011