Have a quick answer? Please settle a dispute for us before we leave the house...

J's had a lot of nasal congestion lately. He's on antibiotics and musinex (10 months old.) He's doing better, but still has congestion. He's been cooped up in the house for weeks, and so have I. It's 68 degrees and sunny here today, with a pretty strong breeze. The baby's godfather and I are going to take him out today -- he says the breeze and "cool air" will make him more congested. I say it won't. Which is right? We can go somewhere inside -- I wanted to get out, but I don't want my baby to get any more congested either! If your answer is that the air won't make him more congested, do you have any proof I can give?? Thanks!

Jill97

Asked by Jill97 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep him covered in the wind - if he's in a stroller, cover it with a blanket. If you're carrying him, drape a light blanket over him. I wouldn't take a stuffy baby out if it was windy - well, I just wouldn't have them outside in the wind.
    Anonymous

• There is not a sure answer to the quesiton. It may or may not make it worse, depending on what the cause of it is to begin with. Some children are sensitive to the cold, while others thrive on it. Some may be allergic to something that is in the air; others, not so much. Some children are more sensitive to the wind than others. So, it's a crap shoot. You probably won't know until you take him out.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:56 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• well, it won't make him more congested (unless he has some type of outdoor allergies), but the wind could dry out his nasal passage and you'll have concrete boogers stuck inside his nose.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:56 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Cold air is more likely to carry viruses and makes the body more vulnerable to them (which is why cold/flu season happens during winter) so since his immune system is already down because he's been sick, it is possible to make it worse by taking him out into cool/windy weather. I'd just keep him warm and keep his face out of the wind and don't stay outside for too long.
    Anonymous

• U need to keep him inside and use a humidifier to help him. I get your side to,but,u r the mom,u need to use common sense and keep your sick baby in the house. If the godfather wants to go out send him to the store to pick up a humidifier if u don't have one.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:00 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Your childs immune system is already not working at full capacity because he is sick. Keep him home.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:02 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• ~*Smiles*~... while you are out, open the house... and knock some of the "sick" outta the house... LYSOL it too!!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:02 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• There are more allergens in your closed space than out in the fresh air. Staying cooped up CAUSES allergies. It is also untrue that cold harbors viruses. If you live in a climate that gets hard freezes, they get killed off. They are spread, and grow in warm, moist environments... Flu season coincides with the season in which most people spend their time inside, in high contact with one another.

The wind can irritate respiratory symptoms, but if its not more than a simple breeze (not a gusting wind) you shouldn't worry about covering him at all!!! Get that baby some Vitamin D! He needs the fresh air, and the sunshine!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:03 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• It depends on what he has. I know I have been cooped up in the house for a week with my dd. She has the flu. The doctor told me not to take her out because she could catch something else since her immune system is compromised. I personally wouldnt risk going out and having him catch something else like the flu, especially since this flu strain wasnt what they vaccinated for. I would maybe try sitting outside if you have a porch or any sort of yard for a few minutes and see how he does. But thatd be about all I would do.

Answer by gemgem at 3:03 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Fresh air will help. Being cooped up inside all he is breathing is stale air. I found with my kids non-greasy Vick's Vaporub worked great. When you take a shower the steam in the bathroom will help break up the mucus. In the stroller a blanket will help. It's good to expose kids to the outdoors at this age. It will help him build up immunities for his later life. My kids rarely get sick. It was hard when they were in day care and I had to take off work when they were sick, but better then than now in school. They hate missing school.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 3:03 PM on Feb. 13, 2011