What is a reasonable hourly rate for watching an 18 month old?

MommyHeatherMae

Asked by MommyHeatherMae at 7:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Money & Work

• well my son is around that age, so i know it's no picnic, lol! i'd do about $5-$6 an hour...or you can do a daily/weekly rate.
    Anonymous

• $5 per hour...that's a little less than minimum wage.
    Anonymous

• I'm paid $30.00 a day, but that's for a friend's baby. Most people charge $50.00 for a 9 hour day (9 because of travel time.)
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 7:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• GEEZE!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to charge my parents more for real, I only charge $3.00 an hour and I provide meals and snacks.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 7:55 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I used to only charge $3/ hour. Or $25 a day. To me it was pretty fair for me to be able to stay home with my children and it helped the parents out who needed affordable babysitting.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:26 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Babysitting or daycare?
    Babysitting - that's the only kid you're watching and it needs to be worth your time... I charge $10/hour for babysitting, plus a couple dollars for each additional child (siblings).

Daycare - you have lots of other kids you're watching too, and COMBINED, it needs to be worth your time (and pay for liability insurance, taxes, your health insurance, whatever else.) Say you have 4 kids you watch 8 hours a day. If you want to make $15/hr, you need to charge $30/day/child.

My feeling is if the parents want to pay 4-5 dollars an hour (especially for babysitting when their kid is the only one), they can go ask the teenagers down the street. If they want a competent adult with a degree in early childhood education and teaching experience, they can pay me more.
    ChapelleCDH

Answer by ChapelleCDH at 10:34 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I watch my friend's toddler for a few hours a day, three or four days a week and I charge her $5 an hour.
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 3:06 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Most in home day cares charge $30.00 per day .IAt Daycare centers they charge for after school day care $85 per week and for a full week meaning 8 hours a day 5 days a week it is $150.00 per week and that consists of home cooked meal meaning they have a dietican on site or a cook to get in the center each parent has the code lots of activities etc etc.
    Anonymous