Do yell at your children?

my 3ds is frustrating the living hell out of me today. we have painted pictures and played with play dough. all the messes are driving me nuts. aunt flo has come to visit and im not the patient loving mom i want to be. i have not snapped at him!! BUT I WANT TO! ITS not his fault that im having a bad day. he took all of his clothes out of his drawers just bc he felt like it. i made him help me clean it up. and im sooooooo proud of myself for not screaming bc of how frustrated i felt. my dh has worked 7 days in a row. im glad he has the work but the long week is draining me . anyway how do you keep patient. when you feel like throwing in the towel and snappping. ********sigh***********i think he is getting in the freezer for ice cream i while im trying post this

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• I just go with it. I figure its a bad day and I feel like crap and I let my kids get away with more then I usually might not. Once they are in bed I can clean up their mess and then take time for myself.

Answer by gemgem at 3:00 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Ahhh the good ole 3yr old stage. My daughter is 3 as well and sometimes she can really bug me and I am at the point where I feel like screaming I ask her to give me a little space because I love her and dont want to be mad and I just keep to myself for a few minutes and regroup. Aunt flo does this to me every month and when I start getting frustrated I stop and say "why am I getting worked up..she didnt do anything that bad" I tell myself to relax and realize its aunt flo trying to take over and Ijust push through it.. but they can definitely work a nerve on a bad day.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 3:01 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I raise my voice when he's not listening to me but I don't yell at him just because I'm frustrated. At least, I try not to. There is no such thing as a "perfect mom" regardless of what all these women on here like to tell you about themselves!
    Anonymous

• Who hasn't??? Every mom has her good and bad days..don't beat yourself up, just do the best you can and try to keep your cool the next time you feel like yelling. You'll learn how to keep your calm over time eventually..but don't think slip ups are the end of the world. It's all part of the learning process in dealing with our children.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 3:05 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• ~*Hugs*~... children push us to find out what their boundries are... and God makes them cute so we don't kill them in the process!!! Or at least this is what I was told growing up....

Take a moment to breath and step back so ya don't "snap", and know we have all been there, and in most cases what you are facing could be one of us at any moment? Hahahaha
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:07 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Most of the time, when I get frustrated at my 17 month old son, I just grrrrr really loudly and make a funny face. He just laughs, and it helps relieve the frustration (especially the cute little giggles).
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:07 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I actually stopped yelling when my son was a toddler because a wise parent friend convinced me that they stop listening to you when you constantly yell. Now, at age 12, my son calls all my "nagging" yelling, even when I don't raise my voice. Still, he does know I mean business when the nagging reaches a certain decibel. It's a good suggestion to reduce or eliminate yelling because as adults, none of us responds well to yelling, so we shouldn't thing we're accomplishing anything when yelling at kids. It raises their anxiety level and they focus on their fears--not a great way to teach a child.
    reveala

Answer by reveala at 3:24 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Screaming is a release for you and traumatizing for them and usually gets you nowhere, but I think we all have been there at one point, hang in there mom, it could be worse......

Answer by older at 5:05 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I am a "screamer" and I hate it!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 5:12 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• sometimes I have to yell for DS to listen... I never say anything degrading to him though. ( I have cussed a few times unfortunately but I don't make a habit of it) I totally understand what you mean. I've been so under alot of stress lately and sometimes I snapp at my son and I feel horrid afterwards!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 5:13 PM on Feb. 13, 2011