Gift from hospital?

When i delivered my 1st son in Germany, the hosiptal gave me upon discharge a diaper trash can (diaper genie kind)! I still use it today!
I come to the States and deliver in Baltimore, what do i get?A smoke detector,no batteries included lmbo hilarious.at least they thought about the safety of the baby in some kind of way :)

What are your experiences/gifts?

Davina85

Asked by Davina85 at 3:19 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Nothing. Hospitals are not gift shops, we go there for medical purposes, not to receive gifts. Even if every hospital gave out gifts, we'd just pay for them with higher medical bills. When I was discharged, I was allowed to take anything from the room that I wanted--diapers, blankets, hand sanitizer, etc. I'm sure those diapers I took cost me about $5 each anyway.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 3:23 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• We got a blanket and a CD of music for our son. The blanket sucked and we ended up throwing it away because it was so scratchy and the CD is in a box somewhere. :) I didn't know you really get gifts from the hospital for having a baby. :)
    tmpmom1116

Answer by tmpmom1116 at 3:23 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• i was surprised about the diaper trash can,too! I thought you'd get some free small samples(travel size or smaller) like rash cream, shampoo and stuff in cooperation with the companies that provide the stuff for the hospital.
    Davina85

Comment by Davina85 (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Like TMP said..I took everything that was in the room and in the crib thing. I never EXPECT the hospital to give me anything. that isnt their job.
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 3:32 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• uhm..i never said i EXPECTED them to give me anything..and by taking everything that is in the room dont you receive some kind of "gift" by that?it is free after all, regardless of the question of if they overprized their services or not.
    Davina85

Comment by Davina85 (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Ours gave us a diaper bag full of diapers, wipes, knitted hat and booties, books with inspirational quotes to new parents, and a magnetic picture frame for the fridge. They also gave us a cake with their name on it and the day they were born. We saved our ds and let him use it as his smash cake for his 1st birthday.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:41 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I got a bag full of toxic waste samples... and when I had my second, they did something awesome as a keepsake. They gave the paper from the day your child was born, neatly packaged in an envelope stating the date/time of birth, height, weight. Etc. I always wondered what was going on in the local news when i was born... boy did THAT take a lot of googling!
    I had my 3rd at a birth center, and he was a waterbaby. That in and of its self was a gift!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:12 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• thats neat that the hospital gave you that mine gives you a diaper bag a few bottles and diapers nothing to big but its something to help you threw the 1st few days
    Tarrahs2011

Answer by Tarrahs2011 at 4:14 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Well idk yet, still pregnant with my first, but my mom got a diaper bag FULL of diapers for my sister, along with special lactose intolerant kind of formula and a whole bunch of stuff, but that might have been from the NICU.
    And my brother got a baby blankie, a cute baby beanie hat, a teddy bear, and a classic old timey looking rattle
    IDK about me
    Nikki B.

Answer by Nikki B. at 4:30 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Depends who donates what. There's always at least 1 diaper bag from a formula company - usually with a can of formula, sometimes also with a bottle or something also. With my first, I got a whole trash bag full of random stuff - baby spoons, night lights, samples of all kinds of lotions, breast pads, laundry stuff, etc. With 4 of my 5 we got a cute little handmade hat (local donation). With 1 we got a quilt (local donation). With a couple I got a package of fresh-baked cookies from the hospital kitchen. With 1 they had a massage therapist come in and do a free little massage. Just random things really. And of course we could take the diapers, wipes, etc.
    Anonymous