How is it possible to get a whole freezer stash of breast milk???

are all women capable of this??? how long does it take?? anything special I need to do?

amberpatterson

Asked by amberpatterson at 3:20 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is not that uncommon to get a big freezer stash of milk. My question is why would you want one?

Breastmilk has the highest levels of antibodies when taken directly from the breast, next would be freshly pumped milk, then refrigerated. Freezing and thawing destroys most of the antibodies and living cells that breastmilk is full of. Still excellent nutrition, better than formula. Plus, milk is constantly changing to meed baby's needs.

So, you want your baby to get it right from the tap, or fresh, MOST of the time.

If you are going back to work, a big freezer stash is not needed. In order to maintain a full supply of milk you need to pump out every day the amount of milk baby needs at daycare. Every day you will pump the milk needed for the next day. If you don't, and take milk from the freezer every day, your milk supply will drop because it is not being "told" to make that milk.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:47 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• sure! i EP so i have a whole freezer of milk! if ur breast feeding then just pumping once a day in between feedings or first thing in the morning and freezing that milk everyday, u could fill a freezer pretty fast!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:28 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• whats ep? and i only manafe to get out about 2oz in an hr pumping sesion and i use medella dual swing...
    amberpatterson

Comment by amberpatterson (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• EP = excusively pump - baby gets breastmilk from bottle only. It's not uncommon for women to be able to get so much milk, but it's not uncommon for women to not be able to get much either. With one baby I could fill an 8oz bottle in 10 minutes, with another I couldn't pump more than 1 oz at a time, ever. Some women are just massive milk producers, some don't produe as much, some don't respond to a pump like they do to the baby sucking. Baby's mouth is much more efficient than a pump. So if you're not getting much, don't worry - there's nothing wrong with you.
    Anonymous

• "i only manafe to get out about 2oz in an hr pumping sesion and i use medella dual swing... "

If you put away 2 oz a day within a few weeks you'd have a decent sized "stash" for some unknown possible emergency (mom ends up in the hospital, all your fresh pumped milk was spilled, etc.)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:48 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Yea, unless you plan to donate a bunch to someone, you don't really need a large freezer stash. I was certainly never capable of it, and I never needed it either. Between pumping 1-2oz per session and my lipase issues and the fact that my boys both stopped taking bottles by a certain age, I never bothered with it and never found a need for it!

LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:51 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• You have to be super-dedicated to breastfeeding and pumping both. It doesn't hurt to take some herbal supplements, and it also doesn't hurt to hire a maid!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 5:01 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• i was an eping mom and i had a small freezer stash. it was easy for me. the only reason why was cuz i had an oversupply and my pumpin ouputs were from 4- 12 oz. The only reason why most woman built a big stash is cuz they inted to donate or go back to work.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:22 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• u can find moms on eats on feets with tons of milk to spare and will give u a freezer stash www.eatsonfeets.com I donated a freezer stash...
    laura_mae99

Answer by laura_mae99 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 13, 2011