Has anyone recently lost a significant amount of weight?

I just recently lost 60lbs from June-January and I'm having a hard time adjusting to my new body. Everyone else tells me I look great, but I still see myself just how I used to look. Does it just take time to adjust? Has anyone else ever struggled with this?

tmpmom1116

Asked by tmpmom1116 at 3:34 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I haven't lost that much, but I lost about 28 pounds in the past two years. I am still overweight (and one Weight Watchers) but I know I have made good progress.

Like you, I often feel like I'm bigger than I really am. I fail to really SEE the changes in my body... Instead of being happy that xyz is thinner I focus on the fact that abc is flabby, lol. It's sad!
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 3:46 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• My sister said she felt the same way you do when she lost her weight. I'm in the process of losing and I find myself looking at other women and thinking "am I her size?" "Is that what I look like now?" etc. I think we get stuck seeing ourselves visually but also mentally as a certain way. I'm SO proud of you. Your mental transformation might just take a little longer than your physical but you've done a terrific thing for yourself.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 4:15 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I have only lost 16pounds and don't feel it at all....I hope when its more I can feel and see it but I am frustrated:(
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 4:41 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I've recently lost 57 lbs...I have gone from 167 lbs to 110 lbs and a size 12 to a 0... it took me a while to *really* see a difference. I still have times when I am unhappy with my body( mainly my tummy) but I am slowly getting there.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 4:55 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I have just lost 25 in 3 mths time and i am just now seeing results and i am still tooo scared to try new size on most of the time. I get people telling me all the time that my clothes are about to fall off but i just afraid to try a different size. i still feel toooo BIG. But i am working hard to lose more and was wondering what u have being doing to lose 60 pounds?! that is awesome and i am sooooo pround of u. keep up the good work and i am sure u look great.
    brooklyndm

Answer by brooklyndm at 4:56 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Yes, I lost 65lbs and I've been at the same weight for awhile now. I am just now starting to feel my size. What helped me was seeing pictures of myself and not seeing the fat girl anymore.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:06 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I was never very skinny, but when my grandfather became very sick, I became depressed and lost my appetite. Well over the course of his failing health, and eventual passing, I lost about 50 pounds. I became active and was able to healthily maintain my weight, but i never felt small. Looking back I really was, but I never felt it.
    I'm in the process of really trying to loose my baby weight, and like PP said, i never feel like it makes a difference. The scale says I lost 10 since new years... I'm trying to focus on the positives!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:39 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Yup, still seeing myself in my old body. I'm surprised when I catch myself looking good in the mirror! I'm still a work in progress, but vie lost almost 50 lbs so far, so I have some pretty noticeable changes. I really look forward to reaching a healthy weight. I still feel like I look fat in photos (though I know it's not nearly as bad as it was a year ago!). I'm still self conscious of my belly, but again, I'm still big, just not AS big. You'll adjust with time. Be realistic about what you see in the mirror. Consider your self-talk. How do you talk to yourself? Do you congratulate yourself on your successes, or do you fill your head with negative thoughts? Might be time to put that inner monologue in check. Make your accomplishments visible. Write them on the bathroom mirror, put a before and after photo on the fridge, whatever it takes to remind yourself of how far you've come, and how fabulous you really are!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:13 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• 9lbs in a month.
    ja2010

Answer by ja2010 at 10:27 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I wish ~ I think every night you should envision yourself in your new shape AND dream about all the cute styles you can now wear.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:47 PM on Feb. 14, 2011