About how many diapers does a newborn go through a day?

I want to start stocking up on different sizes, and I don't want to get WAY too many or nowhere near enough of newborn size, I'd rather get a little too many than be under what I need, considering it might take me a while to find another job after she's born.

Nikki B.

Asked by Nikki B. at 4:04 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 8 to ten

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:11 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Its hard to say exactly how many they will go through because when my son was a new born I would change him and than he would poop right after so I had to change him again, they say that they should at least have 5-6 wet diapers a day. Also newborns grow quickly so you may go through them faster and end up in a size 1, but you can always exchange diapers for diapers, I know wal mart will take any pampers or huggies back, so just stock up better to be safe than sorry and running to the store.

Answer by BabyMJSMom at 4:13 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• My son was/is like BabyMJSMom. I change his wet diaper, then he poops, it's like he doesn't want his poop and pee in the same diaper. lol Every child is different, but I would say anywhere from 6-10 everyday. I would also stock up on size 1 diapers too. You never know how long they will fit into newborn diapers.

Answer by mommy_jules at 4:18 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• mine went through about 5 a day

Answer by momofone725 at 4:21 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Honestly, it depends. Are you bottle feeding or breast feeding and then if you are breast feeding it will depend on what YOU are eating.

With my 4 children, I went through anywhere from 5 to 10 a day and it varied from day to day.

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:26 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• When my son was first born he went through like 4-5 diapers a day because all he did was urinate since he was only drinking breast milk and formula

Answer by toybar02 at 4:35 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Keep in mind that you don't know how big your baby is going to be. My first son was so huge that he barely fit into the newborn size, and I was really glad we only had one package! My DD was two months old before she even it into the newborn size (premie). So, you little one might fit the newborn size for a month, or for only a week, it just depends.

Some crazy answers up there! First, what a breastfeeding mother eats does not change baby's poop. Breastfeeding and/or formula feeding they don't just pee, they poop too!

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:41 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• My babies pooped every time they ate as newborns... which resulted in 10-12 changes a day. Let's not forget the times I'd change a pee diaper and then they'd turn around and poop! At one time I was changing right before feeding because he wouldn't eat if he was wet, then right after feeding because he'd poop while nursing. That's like 16-18/day! haha...

Look into cloth diapers and then you don't have to worry about buying any ever again! Best thing we ever did, I swear!

Answer by LeanneC at 4:48 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• 10-12 is a good start. Sometimes it will be more. It probably shouldn't be less or I'd venture a guess you aren't changing as frequently as you should.

Answer by misses_nick at 4:51 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• all my boys went through about 10 diapers on average a day. I always bought the size 1 or the pampers swaddlers size 1-2.

Answer by team21 at 6:11 PM on Feb. 13, 2011