My son-in-law is in the army and has just been told hes going to a FOB in Shawquat - can anyone tell us what it's like. Ive read where it is and am obviously really worried.

donna26364

Asked by donna26364 at 4:15 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Due to possible OPSEC violations, you probably won't get any answers.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Is he British?? FOB Shawqat is a Forward Operating Base located in Afghanistan and operated by the British military.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:21 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Not a clue
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Due to possible OPSEC violations, you probably won't get any answers

~This ^
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:33 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• There are a few things you can know...

FOB's aren't always "kill" zones. The mere thought of it can be terrifiying though. FOB's vary a lot from base to base and the country "running" them.

This base has been around awhile so it will probably have more "amenities" (I use that word very loosely!) than new bases. This means he may depending on rank actually get to live in a "dorm" instead of a tent.

I am just curious if he is going to be attatched to NATO since this is a British base. Please do NOT repeat NOT answer my question...just keep in mind this will also make a dif in living conditions.

Since the post is British, the food might be bad or simply horrible...he may want food packages.

You can get some info from Google..some of it is probably quite reliable...just take it with a grain of salt okay.

Keep your chin up and be the tower of strength your daughter will need you to be.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:08 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• ....forgive my use of the word "base"...we are Air Force and it comes automatically!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:10 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Just because the area's hot doesn't mean the FOB is one tasked with combat operations. Hugs for you and your daughter from another combat vet wife and please please please don't post any other information then what you have already. Never know who's lurking, on any site. :o)
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 8:51 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I was going to say OPSEC too.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:29 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• You have GOT to be super careful. One of my bff's just got in crazy hot water and had to take her facebook page down. Thanks to you and your family for all that you do.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:51 PM on Feb. 13, 2011