santa clause

okay well when it comes to christmas i have the christmas spirit.. hello i just downloaded a bunch christmas songs last night and i want to put my tree up.. but when it comes to santa i dont know.. i never believed in him..but my hubby did, so should i let my son believe in santa? i'm confused bout that one.. and if so, when do i tell him the truth?

MommaBear1129

Asked by MommaBear1129 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in General Parenting

• If you don't let him believe he may ruin it for other kids.... But it is something you should come to the conclusion of on your own... Honestly I was in 6th grade when I found out... It is a lot of fun to help your kids write a letter to Santa.. I am sure where you live has a place to write to for letters to be written back to your son.. I loved Santa but you should discuss it with your hubby and you guys come to the conclusion together....
    Sweetie1202

Answer by Sweetie1202 at 7:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I let my girls believe until they find out on their own. It makes the holidays seem more magical, although they know the true meaning of Christmas too.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 8:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I say let him believe, I dont see anything wrong with it. As a child I believed and my children do too. I found out there was no Santa when I was in 1st grade, my mom and dad told me only cause I asked. Had a little kid tell me he wasnt real. But they told me about the real St. Nicholas and I understood it (in kiddo terms)
    lucandpepsmom

Answer by lucandpepsmom at 8:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My husband doesn;t want to "lie to our daughter"... I won this one. She will believe in Santa... I told him when she hears it from some kid, he can be the one to "tell her the truth"
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I look at Santa as part of the magic of childhood. That short, short time span when you believe in monster's under the bed, fairies in the garden, and the tooth fairy. We lose that all too quickly.

When do you tell him the truth? That's up to you. Some parent's tell when the child is old enough to ask. Some never tell - it just becomes a game of "I know you know but we'll pretend together".

I plan on telling my child when she asks. When I do, I'll teach her the other half of the Santa myth - how wonderful it feels to give without expecting thanks. We'll go pick out a Salvation Army angel and I'll explain how that child's parents can't afford any presents this year and if we don't "play Santa" for this child, she won't get any presents. Then we'll go shopping and careful pick out some things to give.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:09 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I grew up in a family where everything was lied to me EXCEPT santa. I always felt left out. All three of my kids believe in santa and the oldest is 12 today. Kids have enough to be depressed about - give them something to be magical about!!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 8:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• alright thank you. i actually couldnt wait till thanksgiving night to put my tree up i put it up today lol. i'm weird leave me alone. i dont remember much of my childhood, and its kind of sad, and i do want him to feel the magic of christmas, so we have decided to let him believe in santa clause, and i went to the library today got a couple books on him and christmas and i dont know.. christmas makes me happy! :D well thank you once again! you guys really helped! :D
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 10:09 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I just recently read another answer from CelticFaerie. You can read her response here.

I totally agree with what she said. I mean children are so full of wonder and imagination that it seems unfair not to at least try. There are some children out there that don't believe even if you tell them. Then there are others that believe for what seems like forever. I think you should tell them and based on reaction decide where to go from there. You can go with the story of the real St. Nick if they don't believe. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Nedrin

Answer by Nedrin at 12:45 AM on Dec. 7, 2008