• In the Spotlight:

Sperm Donation question..

I am curious if anyone has any info on donating sperm. Does anyone know of anyone that has ever done this, and how much does it pay? I'm curious because I heard about it on tv and honestly it seems like easy money! Crazy but hey, what do guys do already right?? I brought it up to my husband and he said it's something to look into...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Relationships

• I looked this up for you because I didn't know much about it. Turns out some banks have strict guidelines as to who can donate. Also, on wikipedia I found this...

The majority of sperm donors who donate their sperm through a sperm bank receive some kind of payment. This varies from the situation in the United Kingdom where donors are only entitled to their expenses in connection with the donation, to the situation with some US sperm banks where a donor receives a set fee for each donation plus an additional amount for each vial stored. Whilst the amounts concerned in each case are not excessive, some donors are known to donate to more than one sperm bank every week and they are thus able to secure a reasonable monthly income.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 11:19 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Some private donors may seek remuneration although the majority of these donate for altruistic reasons. Equipment to freeze and store sperm is available to the public notably through certain US outlets, and some donors process and store their own sperm which they then sell via the internet.

The selling price of processed and stored sperm is considerably more than the sums which are received by donors. Treatments with donor sperm are generally expensive and are seldom available free of charge through national health services. Sperm banks often package treatments into eg three cycles, and in cases of IVF or other ART treatments, they may reduce the charge if a patient donates any spare embryos which are produced through the treatment. There is often more demand for fertiltity treatment with donor sperm than there is donor sperm available, and this has the effect of keeping the cost of such treatments reasonably high.
    amethystrse