Is she normal?

My daughter doesn't really talk. She is 15 months and she says lots of things that are not english but no real words. And things she does say she has no idea what it means. She can say yeah and mine but not in context. Even when she says mama or dada, which is rare she just goes mamamamama like she just enjoys the sound and not really like she is calling for me. I just don't know when it is normal for toddlers to use words. She likes to grunt and point more than actually talk. She really likes the ee sound. She goes around saying kee, dee, tee and things like that but I haven't found any meaning to them yet. it is just random. Is this normal or should I be worried?

xredstarsx

Asked by xredstarsx at 4:45 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It can be normal. She points, which is a good thing. does she respond to what you are saying? If so, that's another good thing.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:47 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I wouldnt' worry a bit. Just keep talking to her and spend some time specifically "talking with" her pointing out things and repeating the name of it over and over a few times.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 4:50 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• As long as she is responding to you, she is fine. Not all children speak early. And they do not need special care if they don't. By the age of three, if she were nonverbal, I would be concerned and seek help. Otherwise. No worries. 2 of mine who now speak clearly and confidently were very delayed in their speech (nonverbal until past 2). They are both developmentally, and in every other fashion "normal".
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:50 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• For 15 months, totally normal. My son was mostly just babbling at that age too. Befor eyou know it she'll be putting together full sentences, and you'll be like "where the hell did that come from?!"
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 4:55 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Make her say the word she is pointing at, do not acknowledge her baby talk replace it with the word and keep saying it until she does, she is till young in the next few months, she will probably be talking more, just make her, instead of understanding her talk.

Answer by older at 4:55 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• are U sure she was born with a brain ? or perhaps , just face it, she's an idiot !!!!!!
    Anonymous

• What the hell is wrong with you anon? Why would you say that about my child?
    xredstarsx

Comment by xredstarsx (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Maybe have her ask you for things. My daughter is the same age and says many words, but we make her ask us for the things she wants. So if she is pointing and grunting we say "you want the cup? Tell mommy what you want." We give the cup to her when she says cup or something that sounds close to it. We also ask her all the time to say words during the day just walking around. Like if we are at the park and there are swings we say, "See the swings? can you say swing?" And we say it over and over until she starts trying to repeat it. We also read to her a LOT!! I think she says about 75 words now. Once they understand how to repeat they start doing it all the time. Good luck! She will get it in her own time just keep trying : )
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 6:01 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Did u ask the doctor?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 6:20 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I felt like being mean put a diaper on the face to cause that kid is ugly!!!
    Anonymous