What would you give as a gift?

To a 14 yr old boy who is gaining two toddler sisters through adoption?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Adoption

• Headphones and yoga classes (or martial arts) so he can learn to keep calm, especially if he doesn't already have younger siblings.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:24 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• LOL... funny.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:25 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Headphones! That is funny. I would make this very special if this were me. I would start with a letter recognizing him as the great gift and wonderful child he is. Talking about when I met him, watched him grow, and my hopes for him. Then I would point out he was my first child and will always be my baby no matter how old he gets. A camera, so he can record his life and memories. Which he may or may not take pictures of the siblings - no expectations he does. And something he wanted for awhile - something equivilent to a Christmas gift with the knowledge that I know people are going to focus on the little guys but we could never forget you.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:36 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• He's going to need as much support as the girls because this really will be a trying time for him. I know you laughed at the headphones suggestion, but it's actually a pretty good one! He's going to need something to be able to retreat to when all the changes become too much!
    DDDaysh

Answer by DDDaysh at 12:58 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I guess I don't get why he is getting a gift in the first place. Never heard of gifts given to other children in the family when they adopt another child.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 12:31 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• something that can remind him that he is himself, and as well as a new big brother who will be a role model. It can't be just one gift. It also needs to depend on if this boy feels blessed to now all of the sudden share his life. A day pass to somewhere where he can be himself, and then a gift as a new big brother.
    2aremine

Answer by 2aremine at 7:53 AM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Southernroots, it's because it's important to let him know he is not being replaced, shoved aside, or forgotten. I suggest something he's wanted for awhile (tickets to a game or a concert for a band he likes, a game or system, some kind of class, etc.) and then maybe a coupon book for days out with either parent (one movie with mom, one trip to play ball with dad, etc.) for when he feels he wants to go do something with just you guys and feels he needs some "big kid time" with you. At the same time, make efforts to do things with him on your own. Let him know you want to spend time with him too and he doesn't HAVE to whip out a coupon to see you one on one.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 12:48 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I would just take him out to lunch or dinner. That way he know that he is not being replace.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 2, 2011