Question for working mamas...

what time do you get home from work and what time does the family eat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I get off work between 1-3:30 (it depends on what time I start) and we eat between 6 and 6:30. (hubby doesn't get home until 5:30 - 6:00)
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 5:30 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I get home around 439 I start dinner right away. Then we eat around 539 or 6 We can't eat after 7 because we gotta get ready for the next day. The weekends are totally different. It also depends on dinner time if we have extra activities or errands to do after work
    bmwlover

Answer by bmwlover at 5:31 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• When I was working, most nights I would get home around 5:45 and we would be eating around 6:30. I taught a full day and then ran an afterschool program so when I got home depended a lot on when people actually came to get their kids (the were supposed to be picked up by 5:30, but there were nights when the last kid was not gone until after 6 pm).
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:32 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• scout mom.... did you do alot of crockpot meals, prep over the weekend, or did you do the whole thing that quickly?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:34 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I get off at 1:30 dinner is at 6. when I was working full time I did do a lot of crock pot and 'prepared the night before meals. Like I would put the casserole together after the kids were in bed so it only had to be heated the next day. In my days off I cooked BIG meals that had left over potentials. Like a whole Chicken or a roast. So there was soup or Sandwiches on the menu the next night.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:18 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Ther are some good 30 min -1 hour meals to though. Fettuccine is pretty quick, so is stir fry and spaghetti. Butterflied pork chops and chicken breast on a grill(indoor or out) are also pretty quick. The trick is remembering to thaw your meat the night before. This is where meal planning comes in handy.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:19 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I would do a lot of weekend prep, like prechopping all of my veggies for the week and when I go grocery shopping I make sure all of our meats are in single meal packages. Also I do things like precook hamburger and divide it into meal packs so that I quickly make meat sauce for pasta, chili or homemade hamburger helper. Once it's cooked it goes into a freezer bag and into the freezer. For weekend prep ideas I love Robin Miller's cook books. For quick, but really good, meals I like Rachel Ray.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:25 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• For me it depends on the day. Some days I don't get home until 9 pm, other days I'm home at 4 pm.... we (or they) usually eat any where between 5 & 6 pm.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:04 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I get home between 5:15-5:45. I try to either have supper ready before I leave or DH cooks. I like it when he has the kids eating before I get home. If I still had to cook when I got home, the kids would never get to bed on time. I make a lot of oven & crock pot meals.
    Anonymous

• I do not work now but dinner is always by 6pm.
    avilio54

Answer by avilio54 at 11:11 AM on Feb. 14, 2011