Do you think 2-3 year olds need to be yelled at?

My SO seems to think so, and I just don't see it as very productive, in most instances.

JZ10FPM

Asked by JZ10FPM at 5:42 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No, I don't think so. I always found it best to have them look into my eyes and make sure I had their complete attention. If you yell all the time they block it out after awhile.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:44 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• No, I think yelling should only be used if your child is in danger. i.e. running into the street and there is a car comming. You would then yell at them to STOP. If you yell at your kids all the time they will not react to you if you yell at them in an emegency situation.
    HannahMayr

Answer by HannahMayr at 5:47 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I agree weith elizabr, plus it could even go the wrong way and u even make them "afraid" of u, not to mention scaring the hell out of them.
    Also, kids this age doesn't really know what they did wrong cause thats up to the parents to make sure they know what they did wrong. Yelling at them would only make them cry, and then u feel bad and u pick them up and hug them. Or at least thats what I do when I catch myself yelling at my 2 yr old out of pure frustration of telling them NO all the time.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 5:53 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• No, they just learn to yell back

Answer by admckenzie at 5:53 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I don't think yelling is productive communication for anyone.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 6:02 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• No, I have three boys & while I admit that I have lost my temper with them from time to time, I also think that if you yell at them you desynthesize them to it. They become so use to you yelling at them that they learn to tune you out. You also need to explain yourself, they deserve an explanation so that they know specifically what they did wrong.
    3hillboys

Answer by 3hillboys at 6:05 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Yelled at? No. Yelled over? Sometimes to get there attention. A quick! 'EXCUSE ME!' or 'HEY!"
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:14 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• i try not to yell but sometimes my LO just doesn't listen without me raising my voice. I don't scream i just make myself louder so he pays attention
    BrandonBearsMom

Answer by BrandonBearsMom at 6:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Yelling at anyone never works.

Answer by gemgem at 6:30 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I try to say what I need to say in a quiet voice three times before I raise my voice and use what my kids call "the mean voice." they don't like the mean voice, but I can't seem to get them to do what they are supposed to do (or stop what they are doing) sometimes unless I yell. It gets their attention, but I don't feel good about it. I don't seem to have any other options when they ignore the other three times I speak in a calm voice, even when I get their attention and have their eyes on mine...
    QueenTitania

Answer by QueenTitania at 8:51 PM on Feb. 13, 2011