Questions to ask a Speech Therapist to check qualifications.

My son was dx with PDD/NOS. He is very verbal has several hundred words at the age of 29 months. His weakness are with expressive speech and dialogue. We are disappointed with out current speech therapist. We would like to find a therapist who really gets the way children think on the spectrum. The language is there he just needs the right therapist to get through to him. Does  anyone have suggestions on a good list of questions to ask a speech therapist to check qualifications for a PDD/NOS child?

julesmaria007

Asked by julesmaria007 at 6:34 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you do find out, would lovea PM to learn more myself... ours refuses to anunciate (however it is spelled, my speech is lightyears above my spelling) his words properly...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 6:39 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• You ask her if she has ever treated a child with your childs diagnosis. Then you ask her if she has any referrals you can speak to. Mostly it is just about finding someone who clicks with your child. My GS attend 4 therapy appts a week. We too have a a therapists or two that just didn't gel with him. It happens.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:46 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Doing research myself it's important to know what approach is used cognitively to help your child learn speech. Each childs individual needs are going to be different. For my child Hanen approach is great. Some books to read are " It Takes Two to Talk" and " More Than Words". It's important to know how long the therapist has been working with children that have the same dx or issues as your child. I believe after that you just have to get a feel for your therapist. It's always a good sign when the therapist seems enthusiastic and takes the time to learn your child.
    julesmaria007

Comment by julesmaria007 (original poster) at 8:47 AM on Feb. 16, 2011