My daughter keeps holding food in her mouth...

She's 20 months and lately she will be eating a snack or something and suddenly refuses to swallow or spit out a mouthful of food so she ends up holding in her mouth (while drooling and occasionally gagging) until I have to force my fingers in her mouth to pull the food out. Its all different food and I cant figure out why she's doing this, anyone else go through this??

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 6:34 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, my kids usually do it when there's a piece that has an odd texture or they're done eating.
    Anonymous

• I'm not really going through this with my daughter and she's 21 months how long has this been going on has she been eating properly or does she start doing this when she's done eating it could be that she full and she can't chew or swallow food cus she's so full .
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 6:37 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• i went thru this with my oldest when she was 2. it was incredibly frustrating because it would take her forever to eat. she would just hold chewed up food there and id be like "ok take another bite" and shed tell me she was still chewing, the same bite shed been chewing for like 10 minutes! i finally just figured she was full and didnt want to fess up or didnt like the food. it was a phase and it didnt last too long.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:42 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• do you think she could be sick? sore throat?
    Anonymous

• I watch a 2 yr old that does this on occassion I take this as he is full. I found out his parents were making him eat everything on his plate so he would shove it all in and then hold it and eventually spit in out in his room. Which they thought was cute. Gag! I told him he didn't need to eat everything and he stopped for the most part
    momof2cuteboys

Answer by momof2cuteboys at 9:34 AM on Feb. 14, 2011