Is anyone else slowing dying from LACK OF SLEEP????

I am now in month 7 with my LO. We finally moved her into her own room and am getting used to having a video monitor....which I think subconsciously, I don't trust, so I never REALLY sleep. We just recently got down to 1 feeding a night (BF) and 1 other waking, in which I could usually put the paci back in and she would go back to sleep quickly. I have stopped picking her up at night, unless to feed or change her (but I do go in an pat her back, etc. letting her cry alone very little) and it seemed to be working to get her to understand night is for sleeping. I got excited at the thought of possibly 4 or more hours of sleep, IN A ROW! This lasted about 3 days and then her top 2 teeth started breaking through....then we are up every hour sometimes even with Motrin, etc.

It just seems to be never ending. I am seriously exhausted and sometime can get very frustrated with her at night....I have to walk away, regroup, and then go back to being a soothing, calm, happy mom. I hate that feeling!!!!! I never want to bring that frustration to her.

Is anyone else going through this and how are you getting through? Is there really light at the end of the tunnel???? I don't think I have seen a REM cycle since I was in early pregnancy....it is really starting to take a toll on me and I DON'T want it to effect the way I mother my daughter.

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 7:03 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ~*Giggles*~...my 3 and 5 year olds are 18 months apart... and I from the time my 5 year old was born, still have yet to sleep through the night??? My 3 year old crawls into bed and wakes me!!!! Hahahahaha
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 7:07 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I am not currently going through it..but oh lord have I been there. My oldest is 28. 6 yrs ago when our GKs came the baby was up every 2-3 hours for the first 4 months. As hard as it is right now for you...Imagine being 25 yrs older and having do go through it again. I guarantee you there truly is light at the end of the tunnel. In fact, this morning, for the first time ever both of the grandkids slept past 7. Hope springs eternal. HUGS.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:45 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Honey I hear you! 19 months ago I brought home 2 4 lb premature babies (twins). It was a nightmare. I was trying to breastfeed so I was pumping every 3 hours and feeding each baby (by bottle) every 2-3 hours. (It took a month for them to learn to breastfeed) An hour of sleep was a luxury to say the least. I have no idea how I made it through. What I did was create a plan to get them sleeping well at night as soon as I could. Read everything you can on getting your baby to sleep well at night and make it your goal to make that 2 wake ups a night zero! It takes work and time but it is worth it. Mine were sleeping through the night around 8 months. They would wake up sometimes after that but I wouldn't take them out of bed. Just rubbed their backs and sang to them until they fell back to sleep. They are 19 months now and they are wonderful sleepers! it takes work and consistancy to get babies sleeping well at night.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 8:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I still don't sleep through the night. I have a 2 1/2 yr old and a 16 month old. They both wake up. I am lucky to get a solid 4 hour stretch of sleep. I've been alone with them for the better part of a year too. I hear you on the frustration, it does suck, but good for you to regroup when you need to. Cause if you are frustrated it makes it worse. It's best to not talk to the baby either. Just do what needs done and get back to bed. I keep telling myself, it won't be like this forever.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:44 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• i know how you feel!!! DH and I try to take turns during the night but no matter what, i always find myself half asleep. i rarely ever sleep. i jump when i hear her move. UGH! i was lucky enough to have my mother here for a week and BOY DID I CATCH UP ON SLEEP. lol
    BrookeKRod

Answer by BrookeKRod at 8:46 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Thanks everyone for not being judgmental on this one. No, I don't talk to her when I go in. We have had a few bad nights where after about an hour of her crying, settling, and waking again like 3-4 times...I give in and feed her. There are other nights where she will silently play in her crib, chewing on some toys I leave in there for 20-30 min. then just lay back down and go to sleep....I am up the entire time waiting for her to cry so I have to get up....so not sleeping then either. It is rough!
    siren77

Comment by siren77 (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I've been here too- first off I say hang in there because it gets better. You were on the right track- you got her down to the one feeding and one waking and she is in her own room. You just had a set back because of the teething but that will pass. Whatever you did to get her on the schedule prior to the teething was working so you know how to get her back to that. With my dd sometimes I would nurse at night and sometimes I would hold out, but if she fussed for 15 minutes or so I knew she wanted to eat and that if I just fed her I could get myself back to sleep, too. Those are the times you just have to trust your gut on if they are hungry or just fussy. And I think it's great you recognize when you need to take a minute, I've been there too and it's best for you and baby if you regroup. Don't feel bad, it's infinitely better than not taking that minute and losing your cool. This too shall pass and you will make it. GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:02 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Just be strong. Don't feed her at night ever. My DH used to try to feed the babies at night. I had to demand he stay in bed! When the babies woke and didn't cry I didn't go in their room! They learned to go back to sleep on their own. When they cried I waited a little bit then I'd go in and just rub their backs and sing. I did not take them out of bed. They learned that bed time is sleeping time. The don't cry at night. Exceptions are when they sick or have nightmares. I always pick them up in these situations. Just work at it for your own peace!
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 9:06 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I found that not feeding extended the not sleeping stage. I would feed. You're up anywy.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:05 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• i agree with qdiamante
    mom31788

Answer by mom31788 at 12:39 PM on Feb. 14, 2011