Question for Athiests..

Please people.. This question is for Atheists..

If you do not believe in a higher power, if you believe that our time on earth is a one time thing and nothing happens after we die, why is it so important to you that others believe that you do? Why does it matter to you? If people try to live as Jesus taught (love each other, help each other, don't judge each other) why is that such a horrible thing? Why do you try so hard to make others believe that there is no God? If they are happy, helping others and trying to be good to others, why try so hard to make them not believe it?
Why does it even matter to you?
If you don't believe in anything, why do you even care that we do?

ObiRenKenobi

Asked by ObiRenKenobi at 7:11 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• By the way your last statement is fundamentally flawed. Just because we do not believe in your or anyone else's god does not mean we do not believe in anything. We believe in several things, much of which we can probably find common ground on such as the importance of education or making wise decisions, helping and just being good to others etc. Belief in God is simply one belief (out of an endless list of possible other beliefs) that we do not share.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:32 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I don't care. I only care when others try to tell me that I am a heathen and going to burn in hell. It's rude and presumptious.

I could care less what you believe. I have never told someone they need to believe the same as I do. I don't try "hard" to convince others that there is no god. If my simple asking of questions about your faith makes you think I am trying to convince you not to believe, thats on you....not the person asking the question.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:15 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I wasn't getting defensive, although you sound that way now.
    You say there are questions started specifically to make you 'doubt" your faith. If you have strong enough faith, there is nothing anyone could say that you would make you doubt, no?
    It sounds as though you want to blame others for your own feelings of doubt about your personal faith. That is not the fault of anyone..that is something within you that you need to address yourself.
    Don't try to make others responsible for your lack of faith, b/c then who do you credit FOR your faith...others as well? if so, then I'd say your fiath is misplaced.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:30 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Oh and BTW I answered for points if nothing else. I usually don't care what you believe as long as you are not trying to insist I need to believe it as well. Respect my decision NOT to believe and we'll get along fine. Insist I am going to your religion's version of Hell because I don't accept your God, then we have an issue.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:47 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• For the same reason that so many religious people try to convince us they are right and we are horrible sinners who will burn in hell, that's why SOME people argue. I'm not being defensive either, just answering your question directed at those of us who do not believe what you do.

Me personally, i agree with sahmamaz2...what she said.

And when someone says something to me like "pray for me", i say ok, becasue i can still wish them well. Just today one of my very religious friends said to me "maybe that's what God wants" when we were talking about our choice to be sahm's. I didn't say anything, becasue it didn't matter that she's following God's intentions, and i'm just following mine. We're both arriving at the same place in doing what we feel is best for our families, so why would i upset her over her use of God and the fact that i see it differently.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 7:32 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I've been on cafemom for 3 years and I rarely see atheists push their beliefs.  However atheists are constantly having to defend their beliefs and their rights from pushy christians.

I'm an atheist.  I personally don't care what anyone believes as long as they leave me alone.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:39 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I know you don't want believers to answer, but I just wanted to say that the only real issue I have seen is that Atheists don't appreciate being treated as though they need to be "saved". They just want to believe as they please, without being pushed to accept anyone's version of truth, same as the rest of us.

Out of all of the Atheists on here, I can only think of one who really comes across as anti-theist. The rest just seem to want to discuss. And so what if what they post pushes us to think - shouldn't we be able to support our beliefs? Isn't that the point of debate? Just because they reject religion doesn't mean they don't understand it or aren't interested in discussing it. I don't think asking legitimate questions, pushing us to really think about our faith, is something to hold against them. If anything, we should thank them, for its only when our faith is questioned/tested that it grows...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:38 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I look at history and the development of beliefs over time. I find it very interesting but more from a scientific point of view. I believe that early humans were looking to explain what they could not understand like why rain fell at certain times and why disasters happend. It makes perfect sense to look to a god or gods to explain. I do believe that religion today is cultural and needed for most of humanity to be civil. I am civil because of a deeper moral belief. I do not try to push my beliefs on people but will argue my point. My mom always is trying to save me even though I live a good existence. I work in a field to help others and am a moral person.
    jthor

Answer by jthor at 9:35 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• why is it so important to you that others believe that you do? It's not

Why does it matter to you? It doesn't

If people try to live as Jesus taught (love each other, help each other, don't judge each other) why is that such a horrible thing? Never said it was a bad thing 

Why do you try so hard to make others believe that there is no God? I don't. Why do you try so hard to make me believe he does??

>

why do you even care that we do? Why do you care so much that I don't believe?? As you can see I can turn this all back around on the people who spend their time trying to "save me".  If you push me, I will push back.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:43 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I don't care what anyone chooses to believe in. I care that they let me not believe in peace. You believe what you want and I will too. Neither is right nor wrong. I try to keep my discourse civil on the subject. For example, if a sibling says "I hope this job is what God wants for me" I respond with "You need to want it for you too." I don't say what I believe (that god is imaginary and everything you ask of 'him', you are really asking of yourself), I say what is important. As I understand it, god can only help those who want the help, so my statement in the example would be holding up my siblings' beliefs as well as mine.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 7:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2011