Honest opinion Please ladies- Friend or frenemy you be the judge.....

I used to carpool one of my child's friends from a sports practice to their house a lot. Even if the husband was home. No biggie. The mom was appreciative. So then I invited them over for New Year's eve. They were running late as usual, so my ubby told my son to text their son ane tell them we were eating since they were over a half hour late and it was amost 8 pm. When they walked in the kid's dad seemed distant and when we took out pics he walked away without looking at our wedding pics into the kitchen had the nerve to take out pics from his wallet and show them off! The wife goes what about your exes to my husband! My hubby dated a lot when he was much younger like 25-30 years ago. My mil told her off and I started to get floored with the behavior. The mom was drinking a lot and went downstaris to watch a movie with her husband and my hubby followed to see what was up. My inlaws were like it is 5 minutes to midnight lets watch the count down. The couple seemed annoyed and then continued to drink and then I made the mistake of saying I do not drink in front of my inlaws or parents that much anymore.She left and I was like thank goodness. What do you think friend or frenemy....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:50 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• Hmmm It sounds like you tried to be friends with them and discovered that they just were not your 'type', you did not hit it off or really have any common ground to build a good friendship on. I think I would be polite if I saw them again, but I would keep them as casual acquaintances-- the people you smile and say "hi" to in passing-- and I would not try to turn it into a friendship.

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:06 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I don't know about "frenemy", but they're definitely rude. You guys don't sound very compatible as friends. I wouldn't invite them over again.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:52 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• dont pay attention to insignificant comments.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 8:13 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Hmmm, seems like someone who is fine to see for a few minutes when carpooling or at sports events for your kids but not someone to hang out with socially. And that's fine, not everyone is going to hit it off with you when you hang out for an entire evening together. I wouldn't hold it against them- they may think you were pushy to call and say you were eating without them, they may find personal pictures boring, they may like to drink. etc. I'm not saying they are right or wrong, just that they obviously have a different style then you and are clearly not a good social match. I don't think that makes her/them your frenemy. Different strokes for different folks, you know? Just don't hang out again, you can keep carpool the same as it always was.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 7:56 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I e-mailed her about leaving the state to take care of my sick dad and she ignored my e mail.You are so right about not being compatible as friends at all.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:57 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• They show off their boring family pics all the time! That is why we did it. They are always late! Showing up hours after dinner is served. We are up to date and so nice. Theya re so slow and so in their own little take my time little world. The guy was complaining about washing one glass dish when we went over. Meanwhile we served them a ten course meal, theyu are jsut lazy and dull drunks...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:00 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Why was she drinking? Did YOU give it to her? Did she get that way after the drink. Maybe she isn't a babbler at all and was just bored in that environment or doesn't like wedding pics, probably reminded her of her ex if she had one. Does that matter now? Was this even recent??
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 8:51 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Sounds typical male, and seems like your husband was the one who was instigating the circle of what ever comments, if boring enough, were ensued, it isn't my type of thing, and typing this is quite non-existant as for men's character, it seems he was in need of attention, so actually she was trying to even it out by saying what about your wife's ex's. Good leveling if you ask me!!!
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 8:56 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• No she was talking about his exes coffee yum. Glitterbon mom I try to ignore ignsignificant comments.MizLee you are 100 percent correct.In fact, even the wife thinks her hubby is not her type and will show up without him a lot except for NYE. LOL. I guess the novelty and nice attitude wore off into the New Year. I was bombarded withtheir boring stories and shows and they have a dog that hogs up their couch while the owner and guests sit on the floor and folding chairs. Lets just say they are not our type and this car pooling thing is over since the kid does not want to participate in the sport anymore. Even if he does I will pass on the car rides except if he is sick. He lives just by us. Thanks ladies except for one of moms. You sound just as jealous much as they are.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:50 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• The guy didn't want to look at your wedding photos, big deal; most guys I know don't care about that stuff. He brought out his own photos to share with you and you find that rude? Didn't you start the picture viewing? You invite people over for NYE and didn't let them know before hand that drinking is a no-no? So she made a comment about your husband having exes. So what? I think aside from being late, they were not at fault. Sounds like your expectations are too high.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 8:01 PM on Feb. 13, 2011