Do I really need antibacterial hand soap?

My hands are cracked and bleeding, I buy antibacterial hand soap because my pediatrician suggested it was best. I like milder soaps, milk and honey or moisturizing soaps, do I really need a harsh soap to kill germs?

bekej

Asked by bekej at 7:56 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Health

• Regardless of the soap you need to mosturize your hands several times a day and overnight. Get a lotion with shea butter and aloe if you can.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:58 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Children need to be exposed to some germs to build up their immune system (provided it isn't compromised because of a disorder). If you can find non-antibiotic soap, go for it!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:58 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I don't think you need anti-bacterial soap. Time and time again I see studies saying that it doesn't matter and the most important thing is to wash your hands with soap, any kind, and to wash them for a set time, not just for five seconds or whatever. But the anti-bacterial is not a must at all.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:01 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• you don't need antibacterial, and neither do your kids. good luck finding a soap without it though!
    try taking a fish oil for your dry skin too. and sleeping with lotion and gloves can help.
    wearing rubber gloves while cleaning will help too.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:07 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• It is too strong. You should use a milder cleansers since you have cracked hands.
    avilio54

Answer by avilio54 at 11:16 AM on Feb. 15, 2011