Does pitocin really affect how quickly your milk comes in?

SIL just had her baby 5 days ago. They tried for 2 days to get her labor going, with pitocin. She made the comment the day after baby was born that her milk should come in within a day or two, since she had so much pitocin. I had pit with 2 of my babies and my milk didn't come in any sooner...that I remember anyway - it was 3-4 days with all of them. Her "defense" was that it's the same drug that the body releases to start labor, which triggers the milk coming in. So, does getting a really high amount of pitocin (they turned hers higher than the normal limit) make your milk come in sooner?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• She's right about it being the same hormone. ( Well actually pitocin is a synthetic version of the same hormone.) Oxytocin is the natural hormone and it does start labor and stimulate milk production. And everyBODY is different. There is no way to say with 100% accuracy that it causes it to come in sooner. in her it might, but really how do you know it wouldn't have come in that fast without the pitocin?? You don't. In some women yes I suppose it can, but in all my four pregnancies it came in around day two and half and one of those was with pitocin. It made no difference for me personally.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Who knows? I wasn't induced, but I had pitocin to speed things along and my milk came in on day 3. My daughter's pediatrician even commented at her first appointment that most new mom's milk comes in on day 3, so it doesn't look like it affected me, either way.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:58 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I would think it might DELAY it, since the body didn't naturally produce it. It didn't delay it with me, but I don't think it was super fast either.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:44 PM on Feb. 14, 2011