Do you do time out?

If you do what permits a time out and for how long? What do you do when they try to get out or dont stop crying?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The entire point of a "time out" is to remove a child from a situation and to redirect them.

I had a "time-out" chair in the corner of the kitchen that was only used for that purpose. When something happened and my daughter wouldn't stop with a couple of verbal warnings, I'd put her in time out for a anywhere from one to five minutes. i'd set a timer. I'd start with one minute and if she didn't calm down, i'd add a minute.

i was very consistent with this and it really worked. she only had a few time outs before the mere threat made her correct her behavior.

pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 8:28 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I like the above answer. I cannot do time out with my youngest son. Not only is he is just now leaning to sit still for two minutes but also he has a very short attention span. This is typical of 1 and early 2-year-olds. At this time, I take away the toy, etc. or take him away from what is causing the problem.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 8:43 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I don't have a set amount of time for the kids to be in the "thinking spot". If they are throwing a tantrum they can stay there as long as they need to. If they are in the thinking spot for poor behavior like hitting then they are there until they can tell me how they are going to fix their poor behavior. The girls are 10 and 8 now and I can't remember the last time they needed the thinking spot. The boys are 5 and still go there at least once every few days...mostly for losing their temper and hitting each other.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 9:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Oh to answer your question..sorry got side tracked. When they try to get out you just keep putting them back...calmly and firmly. But you have to be consistent, you might have to do it a hundred times, but then the next time it's only 57 times and the next time its 20 times and so on until they do stay. It really only takes a couple of times for them to get it. They just want to see of you are going to follow through. As for crying...if they are staying...then it's no problem ... they will calm themselves. You could say to them " As soon as you can control yourself you can get out".
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 9:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• It is very good to have a time out spot and it really does help. The only concern with them is the time you put them in there for. Keep in mind that to a 2 year old even 2 minutes is an eternity. I put my DD in time out for 2 minutes because she is 2 years old. Now my sons are another story they are 7 and 9 and usually they get 7-10 minutes depending on what it is for.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 9:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• we re-started time-out again this time we put his little chair in the kitchen i set the cooking timer on the microwave and i tell him when it rings you can get up but if your bad your going back to that seat! and it worked pretty good today i only sent him to the chair bout three times all day so i'm really happy. i did it with like 10 min! :D
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Since mine is still young, I do a soft pat on the bottom, sit her down where she is. If she gets up too soon, I hold her in my lap and don't let her get up. She hates it. Over time, I'll be able to remove myself and the pat on the bottom and just get her to sit in time out. It takes a little time for them to understand. The key is to be consistant and persistant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Nov. 18, 2008