Baby constipation troubles :(

My 7 mo. old has been on solids since 4 mo. She now eats 3 solid means a day (I still mix fruit or veg with a single grain cereal) and she BF the other 6-7 feedings.

Every few weeks, for about a week, we have trouble with constipation. I try to incorporate prunes, peaches, etc. into her meals more when this happens....but I am getting a little worried. We just had her 7 mo. checkup and I completely forgot to ask the Pedi about it. Has anyone else had this problem and what works to get things "flowing" again?

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 8:26 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• same thing happened with my daughter at that age and i just fed her pears almost every morning for breakfast and it helped
    SweetMiss

Answer by SweetMiss at 8:27 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I usually offer a little apple juice, cut half and half with water, to help with constipation. also, when the baby strains, I gently lift his/her legs towards her chest and rub his/her tummy counterclockwise to help things move along.
    QueenTitania

Answer by QueenTitania at 8:33 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• It's her system developing still. I would give her prunes and pears. One day do one of those fruits and the next day do the other. Are you giving her rice cereal mixed in with babyfood at every meal? If so, I would lay off of that and see if it helps.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:34 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• It may help to feed her prunes, bananas, or apple juice
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 8:38 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Is she in pain when you say she is constipated, or is she just not having a bowel movement? I am asking that because it is normal for BF babies to go several days, to a week without pooping.(Although, it always made me worry with my daughter missed a BM, lol) If not going IS bothering her, I would personally stop the grain cereals and see if that helps. They really don't offer much nutrition anyhow, and most of them are fortified with iron, which could cause constipation. If that doesn't help, you could try giving her diluted juice as another poster has already suggested. If she keeps getting constipated, I would call her Dr. and see what they suggest. Good luck, Momma! :)
    MacyKaysMommy

Answer by MacyKaysMommy at 8:59 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Try prunes or pears and little juice always worked for my kiddos
    ELeigh0714

Answer by ELeigh0714 at 12:58 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• What are the specific symptoms?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:27 PM on Feb. 14, 2011