What's wrong with me?

I lay awake most nights for a few hours, some nights until dawn, worrying. Is the world going to end like they say? What if my kids get hurt tomorrow at school? What if they get some kind of virus and it kills them? What if my children never get to have kids and live the dreams they have? I'm in tears and sick to my stomach just thinking about it. I've never been on any kind of meds for anything, but this isn't a new thing. I've been like this since I was a child, but I've been able to brush it off up until a little while ago. Now it gets so bad that it makes it hard to breathe and I get really hot and prickly feeling. I have spoken to my doc about it and she says to just sit in the sunshine and watch my children grow and play and not think about it. Easy for her to say...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Health

• Find a doctor who will listen. To me she is not a doctor, she should be listening to your needs. You could be having panic attacks which can also feel like having a heart attack. I would go to another doctor. I hope you feel better.
    Anonymous

• I second that opinion. If it's bothering you that much you don't need someone to act as if it doesn't matter. See another doctor who will listen and care.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 8:50 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• i third the opinion I had the same symptoms call your doctor and make an appointment with I psyciatrist
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 8:52 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• It sounds like full blown anxiety to me. Like everyone else said, visit a doctor who will really listen to you. Or maybe try some yoga and meditation, that might help too.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:01 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Like everyone else said, it's anxiety. See a psychiatrist. They will probably prescribe something to take the edge off the anxiety.
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 9:05 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I had this after my first born it was full blown anxiety I could not sleep they put me on anxiety meds but hated the idea of taking something everyday so I only took mine when I felt anxiety coming on!
    anfisasmommy

Answer by anfisasmommy at 9:19 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Ok, this is an important answer. When we are moms, we have this insane responsiblity for our kids right? And so much of it is out of our control. Not being in control is a huge stressor for moms, well, even for non-mothers. The stress you are feeling sounds like it stems from this. Correct?
    I am a life coach and work with moms and stress, in addition to being a mom myself! So I am going to tell you what I tell my clients. Ok?
    Our brain is like this huge sensory organ and it really does not filter what it registers. The thoughts we have come from the connection between what we are experiencing and our past conditioning. And the problems lies in our default reaction to BELIEVE everything our brain tells us.
    We actually don't have to believe everything we think. We have a choice. I know that sounds hard, and it is a challenge to learn. But the first thing I would suggest is to not fight your emotions. will continue....below
    SigridSK

Answer by SigridSK at 12:32 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Ok, continuing here...will make this quick! What you need to try to do is just allow your thoughts and emotions to just be there, yield to them, don't fight them. When we think a thought we don't like we engage with it...hating that it is there, wanting it to go away...in sort of desperation (this is where your actual physical symptoms are coming into play). Your thoughts won't kill you - they actually have no power over you at all. If you breathe into them, allow them to be in your space, not judging, not talking back to them, they WILL loose their power over you. This I promise. Try it and let me know how it works for you. Can give you the next part of the process when you are ready! Hope so much this helps!
    Sigrid
    SigridSK

Answer by SigridSK at 12:35 AM on Feb. 14, 2011