How many hours per week would you let your 16 year old work?

Our older daughter is a few weeks into her first job and they are now scheduling her 6 days a week and 5 hours a day. It's getting harder for her to get her school work done and I'm getting concerned. I found out today that there is one kid who only works one a day week, she doesn't want to cause waves but I'm thinking she needs to get fewer hours.

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 8:46 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• the are only allowed to work two hours a day during the week and half a day on saturday...no more then like 15 hours a week is the law where i live
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 8:48 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Whatever she is capable with. My Mom let me work 40 hours a week as long as my grades in my AP classes did not fall and my chores were done around the house. School should come first and she needs to let them know that if she is having issues keeping up with things.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:49 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I checked our state laws and they are not that strict for anyone 16 or over. She looks older than 16 and the woman who hired her and knew her age is now gone, I'm not sure that the scheduler knows how old she is since she works days (we homeschool).
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• My son can work as many hours as they let him if his grades do not fall.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:51 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• When my sons first began working I only let them work Fri nights, Sat and Sun. On Sundays they had to be off by 9. As they got older and it was clear grades weren't slipping I let them add one or two nights a week.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:52 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• 30 hours for a full time highschool student does seem like a lot to manage. im pretty sure when i was in highschool i worked 20-25 at most, usually the 5-9 (no later than 9, mom's rule) maybe 3 days a week and one 8 hour shift on the weekend. if her grades are slipping or shes having trouble concentrating on schoolwork then it is definitely time to cut back some hours at work. school always comes first.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:52 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I would suggest maybe 15-20 hours a week, especially if she seems to be struggling with school.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:54 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I'd say 20 at the most.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 8:56 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I don't want it to seem like her grades are slipping, but she is working her tail off on her one day off to get all of her extra work done from the week (she does a once a week turn in of her work). I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't being a mother hen with her (I have been known to do that) (c:
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 8:57 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• anything 30 hrs or more is full time. She needs to put her foot down and tell them she's working too many hours. Many states have tight regulations for those that are under 18...including how long per day they can work and what time they have to be off during school nights. In NC, they cannot work between 11pm and 5am when school is in session the next morning.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:57 PM on Feb. 13, 2011