Ex-smokers

i would just like to share that its been roughly 8 hours since my last cig, and i already feel GREAT! i truly can breathe better already. im not short of breath and dont have to struggle constantly to get a nice, deep breath. my pulse is also steady & calm, not racing erraticly like it has been for weeks now. other than when i sleep obviously, this is the longest ive gone without a cig in a VERY long time. the other times ive tried quitting, my health wasnt as horrible as it is now so i didnt feel these instant benefits. i was doing some research and found out so many interesting thing about the human bodys resilience to quitting smoking. i had no idea how the body restored itself even for those whove smoked years and years or quit well into their 50s, 60s etc. i think in 15 years if i havent touched a cig ill have the same chances of heart attack as a life-long nonsmoker. same with stroke risks. that is just incredible!

so my question for ex-smokers is this: how long has it been for you and what health benefits have you encountered so far?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:46 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Health

• It'll be 6 weeks tomorrow!! :) I have saved $309.06 Dollars by NOT smoking 824 cigarettes! (lol, i keep track on facebook)
    and holy crap i feel GREAT! My nasty cough is gone, i can catch my breath, i dont stink, im actually spending time with my daughter, instead of going outside every half hour! i'm not all wheezy anymore, im not a runner..lol, but i can at least run for more than 5 seconds now! (i joined a gym too, so i can see the difference) yaaa its great..and then weird thing is, is i havent even missed it!! seriously, if ya ever need someone to talk to, message me, i can help! :) good job on the 8hrs!! keep it up!!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 9:06 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• It has been about 4 years. Benefits, it's like I never smoked at all.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:48 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• It has been ten years and it rocks!! GL Momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:53 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Way to go!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:35 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• you rockCongratulations to all you ladies who have quit!!!!!

mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:39 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• 10 years for me. I think I smoked less than 2 years anyway. But it's awesome not to be a smoker!!!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:11 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• i quit over 11 years ago. the first benefit i noticed was being able to swim!!! i lost the smokers cough pretty quickly too. oddly, my digestive system was weird for a little while...but things worked out fine!
    congrats to you!!!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:03 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• good job ladies! i know the very instant benefits ( like within 20 minutes i think) are normal blood pressure to that of pre-smoking years and increased blood oxygen. and everything only continues to improve with each minute of cessation. if things continue to get better this way, i will have no problem quitting for good! i feel pretty invigorated right now.. LOL
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• LOL how funny anon! did you read the part where i stated ASIDE FROM WHEN I SLEEP AT NIGHT THIS IS THE LONGEST IVE GONE WITHOUT A CIG? up til today i was a chain-smoker, i smoked probably a pack a day and it started from the minute i woke up and was the last thing i did before bed. so for someone who smokes that much a day, an 8 hour stretch WHILE BEING AWAKE is a hell of a milestone. thanks for trying to shit on my parade though!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• i quit for about 8 hours too a day!!! its called SLEEPING LOL
    Anonymous