Is there a nice way to ask?

So I jokingly told my hubby what I really wanted to V-day was some chocolate covered strawberrys! Theres a place in town that sells them for like 60 cents a piece and they are amazing! Well, sometimes I make my own but the ones from the little shop are better! Any whoo, DH goes to the grocery store today and comes back with a carton of strawberrys and a candy bar, and im supposed to make my own I suppose?! okay yay....but umm, is this my vday present? Like no card or anything..just handed a grocery store bag?....lol is there a nice way to ask if this is what im supposed to expect? I already gave him his gift...soo...IDK....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• I'd sit down next to him and eat the candy bar... Haha
    And of he said something like "i thought you said you wanted chocolate covered strawberries?" I'd say " I do. I didn't see any of those in there." haha. And if he said i had to make them myself, I'd tell him that "handing me a grocery bag, and giving me a gift is two different things. Tomorrow is Valentines day, so you still have time to get them for me, like I wanted". Then kiss his cheek and say "thanks for the candy bar."
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 12:55 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Sounds like your gift to me. My mom came up to visit and my daughter and I were out with her, so she said to her grandma, can I get mommy flowers for Val. Day so my mom said sure. Came home with the flowers and my husband had the nerve to say oh good I do not have to get flowers. Let me tell you I am so made, so I am going out with my daughter for Val. day just her and I. I always make everything special and tired of it. This is not about the present because I am not like that, I was just hurt. I do not know I am just sooooo mad at him.
    Anonymous

• Yep -- I believe that IS your gift. Maybe you should say something like, "Let me know when your ready to make those and I will find a recipe for you...they can be tricky." lol -- Bet he wouldnt do that again!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:16 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I'd ask him. But casually. Like hey, were you going to get me those strawberries, because if not, I was just going to run and get some. Then, if he says no, I got you the strawberries and candy bars. I'd let him know, that it kind of stinks that you have to make your own gift. I'm blunt, I guess.
    And it is the thought that cow ts, which obviously, if he was really thinking about what you wanted he would have gotten you the ones you wanted. I'd be hurt too.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 9:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I would go to the store and get the ones YOU want, and then leave them out for him to see, that way he'll know for next time. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:55 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• yeah i would tell him where is my chocolate covered strawberries
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 10:34 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• i would just come out and ask him afterall it is thought that counts...a friend of mines DH told her today to pick herself a card a gift from him while she was at the store
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 8:56 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I get it anon, I put ALOT of thought, maybe not even money but love and thought into all the gifts and anything I do for him....amd he always blames money for not being able to do much. He had 60 bucks and nothing to pay...that was just V-day money...and I was like wow, not even a card? I adore cards, I save them all...I just wish he would "get it"...I wouldve loved a bubble bath, a love letter, something! I'll give it til the end of tomorrow to see if he has something up his sleeve..if not, i will be hurt. like you said not because the gift was meager, but there was no thought! I told him I wanted those..hell I can go buy strawberrys and a candy bar anyday!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Send him a card that goes something like this....
    I love it when you do thoughtful things and bring me flowers and cards,
    I love it when you go out of your way to do the things that are hard,
    I want you when you make me blush and say the sweetest things,
    I cannot wait to want you more when you show me what I mean!
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 9:17 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I think I feel sorry for us both. I just do not know sometimes. He could of picked me a wild flower I would not even care. Like I said I am just going out. I have never done this before not doing anything without him, well maybe he will get it. This is how mad I am. We never exchange any x-mas gifts or b-day gifts or anything so I always try to do or make it special. I could just cry, maybe I am just tired. I wish you a Happy Valentine's Day!! Sending lots of hugs your way. "p.s. I did make choc. covered straw. for the preschool teachers" they work so hard and deserve it.
    Anonymous