How can I get my 4 yr old to listen to the bed time story instead of talking through it and then go to sleep?

BeverlyD13

Asked by BeverlyD13 at 8:53 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• when u findthe answer let me know
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 8:54 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I would always let them talk. We would laugh and talk our way through each page on what it was about and what if we did that and then lights out.
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 8:57 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• when they talk through it what are they talking about? the story or something else? if its something else than maybe the story isnt interesting to them and you should Just sit with them and discuss whatever they feel like that night for fifteen or so minutes
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:58 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• my 4 year old plays the 20 questions game when i read to her too. she has to point out every emotion on the character's face, ask why this or that happened, show me which letters she recognizes. i just talk to her about it and move on, it does take a little longer to get through the story. but atleast i know shes interested.. extremely lol. as soon as i finish i tuck her in, give her a kiss and lights out.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:05 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• lol - My 4-year-old likes to point out what is about to happen ON EACH PAGE!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:13 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I am not sure there is a good way to get your child to stop talking through the story. Maybe you could say something like "okay tonight we are going to read this book. You can ask "X" number of questions per page." It sounds silly although if you really want to stop the talking then you are more than likely going to have to do something like this. Either that or set up days where they can talk and days where they can't.

I would say try to not get so frustrated by it and enjoy it because it isn't going to last much longer. Once my kids got old enough to read on their own they liked reading either to me or by themselves and this little moments went away. We still have story time every once and a while and it reminds me of how much fun it is when they are this age.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:16 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Soon as they start talking get up, tuck them in and leave.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I started bedtime a half hour earlier because of this very question. It seems to be working for me..
    mkagdchcetdy

Answer by mkagdchcetdy at 10:43 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• It's actually a good thing for them to be asking questions/talking through the story. Even if it seems off topic, more then likely your child has either seen or heard something in the story that has reminded them of an event in real life, and then they're making real life connections to stories, which is actually an educational standard in English! Sometimes it can be a stretch, the connection, but if you have them explain it there usually is some connection to what's being read. I would encourage the talking, does it really matter if they're not listening to a story about Dora or dinosaurs? Talking promotes vocabulary skills, conversational skills, and aids in comprehension later in life. If you're goal is to get the child to talk at more appropriate times, then state they're more then welcome to talk after you've finished the page, and then let them, even if it takes 5 minutes. It's more important then you may think.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 12:27 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• My son occassionally does that, so I stop reading and warn him that if he doesn't stop I am not going to finish the book. If he does it again I close the book and say "ok, goodnight". Follow through is key, if he knows you really won't he'll continue doing it.
    LuvMyBabies912

Answer by LuvMyBabies912 at 3:22 PM on Feb. 15, 2011