Was upset

I had to go to the store today. but was waiting for my girls to come in from seeing the dog and cats that are in the out building (heated for their sake because of the winter) since FIL will not let animals in the house. which we understand while we stay with him. told my kids not to play outside because the snow is melting and slick and alot of areas are icy that they were to come right back in. well, my youngest decides she is going to do what she wants again. Older daughter caught her playing in the snow, grandma seen her and hubby called her out on it. so because i was leaving i told her to sit in time out. Time out consists of the age. found out grandpa spanked her for what she did. Spanking should of been left to me , i was in restroom at the time he did it. and 2 he left her in time out the entire time i was gone which was a hour. Did he go to far? or am i being paranoid. I know she has defied me before. and gotten herself in trouble with me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i woud have been mad. it maybe his house but it is still your child
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:02 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• If you told him not to spank he should not have I would talk to DH and have him talk to FIL
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 9:06 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• It isn't his place to spank your child without your expressed permission. It is certainly his right to discipline her within reason in his home. I think you bear a little responsibility here though. You sent her to time out then left. Did you tell Dad when she was to be out of time out? Or the Grandparents? In our house whoever puts the child in timeout lets them out unless specifically asked by the other to do it. It sounds like maybe you need some communication with the other adults about what is expected when it comes to discipline. If it is uniform from everyone kids are far more likely to comply because there is no one to 'play".
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:07 PM on Feb. 13, 2011