Would this cause you to be concernd?

I'm known to over react, yet usually my instincts are right... but I'm not sure how to feel about this.

My 6 year old boy became ill last Sunday. Fever of 103, cough, low appetite. Since then his cough has continued (though is seeming to be going away), his fever remained between 101.5 - 102 until the last 3 days, has still had low appetite, and is lethargic. On Wednesday I took him to see the pediatrician, who did NOT perform a full physical, and only took his temp last minute. She did how ever listen to his chest which was clear. They gave him a breathing treatment and sent him home with an inhaler. We have only used the inhaler 3 -4 times since, along with a cold mist humidifier. She did not seem to be concerned about dehydration.

So, the cough and fever seem to be going, yet the appetite loss and lethargy are still there. Honestly I think his lethergy is worse. He has fallen asleep yesterday around 4 in the evening (he hasn taken a daily nap in over 2 years), woke up at 930 last night to go potty (diarrhea - and he looked very pale), Hhe didnt say he felt sick and he didnt want any food. , then he went back to bed until this morning around 8 a.m., usually up at 6a.m. . I have done my best to get him to take fluids . Today sleepy as well (around same time as yesterday). We woke him to see if he wanted icecream and he just went to his bed to sleep, where he is now... Earlier today he did eat some orange rolls and he acted nearly like his normal self.

He also missed school all week. I am not sure if I should let him go tomorrow.

Could he just be tired from fighting his cough/ fever? He has no other symptoms of illness (sinus infection, ear infection, etc... ) The pediatrican did check his ears and throat. He would tell me if anything hurt....

VelvetCat

Asked by VelvetCat at 9:40 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would be annoyed witht he doctor and concerned about my son.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 9:44 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• i think he is just tired .being sick like that takes alot out of u. if it was me and i was still worried i`d take him to the e.r
    cynthiabalcom

Answer by cynthiabalcom at 9:45 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• It never hurts to get a second opinion. Take him to another Dr. or take him to the ER. Remember that half of the Dr.s practicing graduated at the bottom half of their class. They don't tell you where they were in the line-up. Better safe than sorry. ;~)
    Xanthlover67

Answer by Xanthlover67 at 9:52 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I too would take him to the ER. If he is lethargic and not acting himself then he needs to go. That way then can better diagnose and administer fluids if needed. I wouldnt take the chance. Go and find out what is going on. Good luck=)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:53 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I would take him to the ER as well. That way they can give him fluids if need be! Good luck and hope all is well!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 9:58 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• bump.

also, he just woke up wih diarrhea again. his food he did eat for dinner today (salad) came out undigested... and i think his backbone looks more prominent.
    VelvetCat

Comment by VelvetCat (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• i would be concerned that the doc gave him an inhaler without much of a physical... but since he is doing better i wouldnt worry about him. and yeah the lethargy is prolly just from feeling so crappy
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 11:31 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• OP, with your post ust no, id be more concerned.. the non digested food would have me concerned. call the on call nurse/ doctor or take him to urgent care.
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 11:33 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I would be taking him back to get a 2nd opinion. but my 4 year old has been doing a lot of the same things as your son and she has the flu, shestill isn't eating , I am forcing fluids, but she is still very sick and is now on antibiotics cause her cough was bad they said she was getting an infection so Take him back something else could be going on!!!
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 9:28 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Call the doctor now. He may have a secondary infection or have a new something all together. If you don't feel comfortable with his normal doctor, find another or go to urgent care.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:51 AM on Feb. 14, 2011