Is their any expecting mom`s 39 or over?

i`m asking because i`m 39 and my doctor has really worried me telling me my baby can have down syndrome because of my age or something else could b wrong with her

cynthiabalcom

Asked by cynthiabalcom at 9:41 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had my 5th baby when I was one month shy of 37. She's perfectly healthy and wonderful. Don't let a dr scare you! Take all the precautions you need, get the tests done (if you want), eat healthy and exercise, take good care of yourself - and don't worry about it until/unless there's a reason to worry!

Answer by missanc at 9:46 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• well it is a possibily
    I recommend the nuchal translucensy test if they have not done any testing, but if your doctor is saying the chances that your baby has downs is high, I would be requesting this test. It is non-invasive and no risk to you or baby. Its a 3-d and 4-d sono and basically they measure the spinal fluid/spine of the fets via a picture of the fetus att various angles and measurment ratios.

I am not an over 39 mom but thought I'd let you be aware that there are other tests than an amniosentecis.
    Look on the groups section, they should have a section for moms over a certain age,or in a certain age bracket
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:48 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• If you are extremely concerned, get an Alpha-Feto test.

The real question here is: What if your baby does have Down's? What would you do in this case?
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 9:51 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• i`d love her just the same!!!!!!
    cynthiabalcom

Comment by cynthiabalcom (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• its a risk yes .. but try not to worry, congrats
    san78

Answer by san78 at 4:30 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• they say that you have more of a chance of having a child with ds or other abnormalities with higher aged bracket women but really you can have anything abnormal with any age and child
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 11:17 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Im 41 and all the ultrasounds ive had with a specialist and such he said from the looks of things the baby is growing and is doing all its supposed to be doing and doesnt look as though it will have any health problems at all oh and I found out today its a girl!! so just keep your chin up im sure things will be fine for you as well
    michellesgirls2

Answer by michellesgirls2 at 1:00 AM on Feb. 15, 2011