Email from kindergarten teacher....ugh!!

Dear Mom,
He has really been struggling with talking, being silly, and following others instead of doing what he knows is right. He and I had a talk about that today as he was leaving – that his red day did NOT make him a loser, it just showed him that he needed to work on these things….that if a friend is doing something that he knows is wrong, he does not need to follow along and join in J Can you remind him of these things too? He is a typical 6 year old boy…they all need these reminders. He is also struggling with constantly tattling or in his case, giving me a play by play of what everyone else is doing instead of doing what he is supposed to be doing…we are going to be working on as a class, what they need to tell me and what they need to take care of on their own….things to tell me would be when they are being bullied, someone is hurting them or is hurt, etc….not that someone is using a crayon when they should be using a pencil....

I am so tired of getting emails like this from his teacher! I have talked to him EVERY day about this. I have offered her solutions (she has taken none of them) Every time she emails me it's just like this. I feel like I am not doing good enough, because he is not doing what he is suppose to do, and I feel like I can't do enough because she won't take any of my idea's into considerations. How would you handle a teacher like this? The dots that she is talking about is a color system that they use, green is good, yellow is a warning, red is a time out. When I have talked to her about this she just minimizes everything like it's not a huge deal, but she emails me over and over about it...UGHHHH I am getting really frustrated!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Set up a meeting with the principal and the teacher.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 9:58 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I would print all of the emails and have a personal face to face meeting with her. IF that doesnt help then talk to the principal. Either the three of you can meet up or maybe talk about a transfer. Not sure, but if your school has another kindergarten class to switch to then do it. Good luck!

PS. Id also let her know that email is not the best form of communication for something that she feels is "so important".
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 10:01 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Ya, I agree with the above. The bitching doesn't fix anything. Is she wondering if you are on the same page? Either way, I'd meet with her. could be he needs to be seated at a new table, needs a little more guidance, who knows but it doesn't seem like the end of the world. If he's disrupting the class, that would be one thing but it sounds like he's following other kids...
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:05 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Tell her she gets a yellow dot for not using her super listening ears and tell her you'd love to work this out if she is willing to try something new!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:06 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I have tried getting her to pin down a day that I could come to the classroom, she always says no, or that she will get back to me. I tell her every time that I get these emails that I am telling him the same thing every day, do your best, go for green, be a leader and so on....He came home with a red dot on his hand a few weeks ago and was really upset and told us that he is "just a loser" which I had a FIT about and called her immediately and told her that I didn't want another mark on his hand (otherwise she uses a washable marker to mark what kind of day via color system on their hand). I think he is just being a typical six year old, and he is an entertainer for sure. These things she really enjoyed in the beginning of the year, but now she seems to find everything he does annoying. I have asked for him to be moved, she moved him, he made more friends. She has also told me that she doesn't think that there...cont
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• It would be more like a blue dot (message home) at this point, this has been well before Christmas that I have been getting these stupid emails...

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:11 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• cont- should be an consequences at home, just us talking to him...HA...that's not working either!! UGHHHHHH....so if he comes home with a yellow or red dot, he loses privileges for that day...what else do you guys think?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I think I would be so much more on her page with all this bitching, if I actually felt like he was doing something awful like destroying her stuff, beating up other kids...being a jerk...he just won't be quiet and quit trying to entertain everyone who is entertaining him, which leads me to thinking she doesn't have a good handle on her own classroom...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:15 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Tell her to STOP e-mailing you and start calling you instead. Tell her this is not the way to handle things. Then she may be less apt to call everyday!! Also like a PP said... meet with her and the principal, maybe even forward these e-mails to the principal as well. My question would be... is he really that big of a discipline problem or is she just not able to handle her class well???

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:18 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I feel like if I tell her to stop emailing, then I will NEVER hear anything from her and then I will be completely in the dark. I know I can't have it both ways though...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Feb. 13, 2011