I was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, and was sent for an ultrasound.

Well she said i have a couple of cysts. But a cyst is nothing to worry about right?

harris4

Asked by harris4 at 10:00 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Health

• First talk with the specialist about all your questions. As a nurse I can tell you cysts on certain organs can cause them to over or under produce whatever it is they do. Hyperthyroidism untreated can lead to thyroid storm and can be life threatening. I'm glad your medication is working. DO NOT stop it for any reason without consulting your RNP or specialist. Sometimes if the cyst is causing levels to fluctuate too much..or endangers vital functions Dr's weigh the risk of surgically removing the cysts. Other times the Dr' just wants to do regular ultrasounds and keep a close eye on things.. You won't know until you go what they are thinking. I didn't tell you this to upset you or scare you..only to tell you what the options may be. BTW..the surgery isn't that bad. I had it done almost 20 yrs ago. My Dr didn't listen to me either.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:17 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• No but I would write down ALL of your concerns and talk to your dr. Google might be good for a friend to do but if you do it then it will only cause worry. Just talk to your dr. My mom has hypothyroid and is great. Shes on med and all is well. It will all work out! GL!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 10:03 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• usually not google your condition
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 10:01 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I did google but for some reason got mixed info......ty
    harris4

Comment by harris4 (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• i agree write down all your questions and ask your doctor
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 10:05 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I have been doin great on meds but when she said they were referring me to specialist i just wondered if i should be concerned? I actually see a nurse practitioner and she is honestly never been very good at listening to me as it took me losing 30 pds and complaining about tremors and lack of breathing for many visits to listen to me! Wish i could switch but don't have money as i have no insurance and only charges $20.00 visit!
    harris4

Comment by harris4 (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Meant to say not very good at explaining. I want to know what it could be how we find out and anything else there is to know!lol But she just says not sure let's just wait and see.....all the time!
    harris4

Comment by harris4 (original poster) at 10:09 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I looked it up on webmd.com for you. Cysts aren't usually cause for concern...here is the link

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/hyperthyroidism-topic-overview
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:10 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• thank you mommy jules but my concern is actually the cysts as my hyperthyroidism is managed well by meds!
    harris4

Comment by harris4 (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Most doctors take a wait and see approach with cysts and nodules. They will probably get an ultrasound every 6 months or so just to keep an eye on them. I have two nodules on my thyroid and just keep getting them checked periodically.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:17 PM on Feb. 13, 2011