Yeast?

For the last few weeks my son has had what I thought was a heat rash on his bottom. It actually looked like it was caused by the area being to moist so I have been changing his pull up more often and trying to keep the area really dry. It is not going away and my Mom told me it may be a yeast infection and he may need to go to the doctor. How would I know if it is? How would it be treated?

mommytoJames512

Asked by mommytoJames512 at 10:31 PM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A yeast infection will be on his privates. Diaper rash does not go there. I would take him in and have your pedi look at it. My oldest got them a lot and my dr told me on the calmer cases to use lotrimin AF.
    momof2cuteboys

Answer by momof2cuteboys at 9:31 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• My ped said one way to help with the issue is to put cornstarch in the pullup. Just regular cooking cornstarch. It should help to keep the area dry and helps to get rid of yeast. Worth a shot before you head to the doc. And some diaper rashes can become "resistant" to diaper rash cream so maybe try a different one?
    Jackie1081

Answer by Jackie1081 at 11:14 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I haven't used any cream. I have just been changing him often and trying to get him to use the potty more. When he does poop his pullup I let his bottom dry before putting on the new pullup.
    mommytoJames512

Comment by mommytoJames512 (original poster) at 2:00 AM on Feb. 14, 2011